+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 22 FirstFirst ... 6 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Willson View Post
    I live in Las Vegas i have a 2006 Ford Escape Hybrid 4X4 it was used i bought from a toyota dealership December of 2006 with only about 7,000 miles on it. It was shipped there for the guy from Missouri and he got rid of it because he was going threw a divorce and he didn't want his wife getting it. Anyways our little on dash mileage was displaying 410 to 420 Miles to the tank when we were 1st driving it. Now its summer time and we drive with the A/C on all the way up "RED" and were only getting 312 to the tank. I know i takes a toll on the gas doing that, but when you fill up at a station before you start your A/C again it should display a higher gas mileage, no? Also i know when buying a new car MPG drops after its i.e. "Broken In" but it was bought used, so i wouldn't think that would be a factor here. I have tried tank cleaner, and octane boost i think. I keep my oil changes up to date and I do my own tune ups, any ideas? Nothing seems to help. I'll have to wait till it gets cooler when i start turning off the A/C to see if there is a real problem. Thanks. Willson.
    Hi Willson

Try to use regular 87 octane gas with no ethanol if you can. Alcohol, ethanol and most gasoline additives are oxygenates that cause your engine to run rich and lower your MPG. Gas tank cleaners are also made with oxygenates like alcohol, so don't use them unless you have water in your tank. The fuel injectors in this engine never need cleaning because of new designs these days.

If you don't have a SG, I recommend one to better control your driving techniques. It just plugs in above your brake pedal and offers to much to explain in this post. Go to http://scangauge.com/ and read about the gauge.

GaryG

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

thanx

Thank you for the reply, i do use 87 octane and i try togo to AMPM because the tank says recommend BP gas and there a byproduct of BP i guess. Thanks for the info about the SG ill have to check that out.

ok i just read the web page you gave me and im a little confused as to how it will help me, the in dash NAV system i have tells me the MPG during driving for the last 15 min. on a graph chart. Are the SG and NAV system both the same thing?

Quote Originally Posted by Willson View Post
    ok i just read the web page you gave me and im a little confused as to how it will help me, the in dash NAV system i have tells me the MPG during driving for the last 15 min. on a graph chart. Are the SG and NAV system both the same thing?
    I have both the Nav Sys and SG11 and the SG11 gives me much more detailed information to improve my mileage. At the MPG Challenge at Hybridfest, my Nav system maxed out at 60mpg on the 26 mile course. I came in first place for that event in our vehicle class, so my numbers are a little higher than most drivers.

It has been in the 90's in So. FL. where I live this summer, and I filled up my tank today. The Nav sys 15 minute average number in the white line is not for 15 minutes, the graph across the screen is 15 minutes. The MPG average on the navi drops data and cannot give you an entire tank average, the SG can. The factory trip OD gauge always reads higher than the SG because I never increase the percentage of speed to match the dash trip. Here are the readings:

Navi - 58.6mpg average. Note this system is not complete data for the tank.

Dash Trip - 649.5 miles

Scangauge Tank Readings

44.9mpg tank average

22mph average speed

1.6 hours to empty

27.8 hours driving

35.9 Miles To empty

638 miles SG trip gauge

.8 gallons to empty

14.2 gallons used

Gas Pump - 14.108 gallons, $2.789 a gallon, Fuel cost $39.35.

Calculated MPG - Dash trip OD 649.5 divided by 14.108 = 46.037mpg tank average. Now, at 0 miles to empty my dash trip OD read 615.6 miles. At 0 miles to empty, you have 1.3 gallon left. This means I filled up over the 15 gallon tank size at the last fill-up and again today by about the same.

The many trip data, instant MPG, all the other gauges and the scan tool make a great addition to leaning how to drive.

GaryG

Gary G. I noticed you were able to put over 14 gallons of gas into your tank with this last post. Do you "bump" the fender in an attempt to get air out and more fuel into the tank? Is it true you actually got over 15 gallons of gas into the tank at a fillup?

I read about this manner on another website but I have never been able to get more than 13.1 gallons in when my vehicle stated I only had something like 39 miles to empty.

You sure posses a lot of knowledge about this vehicle.

Hi Billy

Yes, it's me who does the side bump because I know the shape of the gas tank by the drawings in the manual. The up and down rock thing doesn't seem to help much. I was lucky that time I posted I got all that much gas to fill the vapor space though. Must have bumped it just at the right time of the gas level in the tank that time.

I looked back at the numbers again from my last post because I remember looking at the remaining fuel on the SG11 tank reading when I hit the dong at 0 miles to empty. The reason I remember it was the SG11 showed exactly 13.7 gallons used and 1.3 gallons remaining. This means I had 15 gallons exactly at my last fill-up and didn't over fill. This brings up your point why we always don't normally get 15 gallons in the tank. I do the bump thing by habit every time I fill up, and I also fill to the top of the neck. Don't get me wrong, I have been on a slope at this one station and I filled-up putting over 15 gallons in many times.

This tank reading is a good example to calculate the percentage the SG11 is off from the factory trip OD. Every fill-up, the mileage on the SG1 and the SG11 was lower than the dash OD by a percentage. It appears one of the gauges is wrong. Ron Delong has told me in the past it was because of how the SG rounds its numbers off from the metric scale to standard scale. If you take the dash OD at 649.5 and the SG11 at 638 miles, this means we must increase the percentage of speed on the SG by 1.7%. Does everyone agree?
    Has anyone made any adjustments to speed? If your filling up at 350-450 miles into the tank, you may only see 4-5 miles off between the SG and the factory trip OD, but you start to see larger numbers with more miles. Check the 1.7% number out with your reading and let us know. If we make the adjustment on the SG, our true mileage could be a little better than we thought.

GaryG

Boy it is easy to see you have "lots of hands on experience" in researching and exploring the operation of this vehicle. Thanks for sharing some of you knowledge so the rest of us can learn.

My question about the scangauge relating to this thread is this: when you fill up your tank and the scangauge says you put 13.4 gallons in but the fuel pump states 13.2 what value do you input into the scangauge? Maybe their is no correct answer to this as the scangauge may slightly round out the figures while the "backpressure" fuel pump may be slightly off for a different reason. Since I only had my vehicle for a couple of months, I may need more experience with the vehicle to better solve this question.

Quote Originally Posted by billyk24 View Post
    Boy it is easy to see you have "lots of hands on experience" in researching and exploring the operation of this vehicle. Thanks for sharing some of you knowledge so the rest of us can learn.

My question about the scangauge relating to this thread is this: when you fill up your tank and the scangauge says you put 13.4 gallons in but the fuel pump states 13.2 what value do you input into the scangauge? Maybe their is no correct answer to this as the scangauge may slightly round out the figures while the "backpressure" fuel pump may be slightly off for a different reason. Since I only had my vehicle for a couple of months, I may need more experience with the vehicle to better solve this question.
    Thanks Billy

When you reset the tank data at fill-up, the SG11 starts to count down as you drive from the tank size amount you gave it when you set-up the SG. For instance, the SG ask for you to set the gallons of your tank. My SG is set for 15 gallons, so if I add only 12 gallons and reset the tank to zero, it will start counting down from the 15 gallons again. Whenever you check gallons used on the SG, it will show that amount (say 4.2 gal) and the remaining figure of gallons will always add up to 15 gallons (which will be 10.8 gal). The tank average MPG will be from the time you reset it and does not give you the real amount of gas you have left. If you overfill or under fill the tank, it does not matter to the SG because when you reset the tank data, the SG assumes a full tank at 15 gallons and begins a new tank average.

The FEH has many more sensors that the SG doesn't use to determine the remaining gas in the tank. I use the gas gauge, MTE reading, the point of the gong at 0 MTE and where my MTE was when I filled up. From this I can determine if I had a low or high fill at the pump. At the gong at 0 MTE, I know I have at least 1.3 gallons left to get gas. There could be as much as 1.5 gallons left, but I will never run out of gas to find out unless I see the need with bad gas again.

GaryG

2007 FEH AWD 16415 miles on

2007 FEH AWD 16415 miles on it now. On two long 650-750 mile camping trips with 60-70 miles of offroad driving(some severe) I've gotten 31-32 mpg roundtrip. This was a 65 mph freeway speeds, and in Utah 4500-9000' altitudes. On a recent trip to Spokane I got only 28 round trip, but with 4 peole in the car and luggage with 75-80 mph cruising speeds. Over 65 mph makes a huge difference in mpg's.
    Also, here in Utah in the winter my mileage drops to about 27 mpg ( we tend to make short >5 mile)
    round-trips and use Studded snow tires (Nokians)!

Hi I've been thinking of

Hi
    I've been thinking of getting the 4wd hybrid escape for Reno driving but read that in icy/snowy conditions it's not that good. I see you live in Utah, and was wondering about your experiences. Can you advise?
    Thanks
    Galen