+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 22 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 21 ... LastLast

Actual Mileage for Ford Escape Hybrid

I don't yet have the hybrid but I do have a 2003 Escape that we bought new. I just drove the new hybrid today and am utterly impressed by it. Just for this conversation here let me put this mileage situation into some kind of perspective. A regular V6 will get about 19-20 in combined driving and you'll maybe get 300 miles on a tank before it gets close to empty. I doubt if I ever have gotten over 25 mpg. I have always liked the car very much but the fuel mileage has been dissappointing. It is not that much better than my 2005 F-150 which I just got 20.14 mpg on a recent 400 mile trip. And that vehicle weighs about 5,300 pounds.

If the hybrid can get 30-35 mpg that would be fine with me, as that would be about a 50% improvement.

I've always found that getting the best mileage is through careful driving habits; the most important is driving as though you have egg between your foot and the gas pedal.

My $0.02.

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

Ray and Jay, for some reason the computer hangs up and the only way to go Electric drive is to stand on the brakes for about 15 seconds at a stop. This pisses me off about the FEH because I have to stop completely and this waste fuel.

Never sit and let the battery charge, that waste fuel also. I find that the best way to charge the battery is at 35mph and above. Learn how to use the MPG and energy screen if you have the Nav. Computer. You are SOL if you don't have it.

My best tank so far is 44.32mpg but I know now I can do better with my bag of tricks. I have 15,000 miles in just 9 months.

GaryG

I just took delivery on my new Escape hybrid. My first tank returned 35.43 mpg in mixed driving; a vast improvement over my V6 2003 Escape. I think I can probably get better than 40 mpg in town. Very few downsides that I can discern. Not enough cup holders and they deleted the nifty little pocket for the garage door opener so I had to get some velcro to fasten it to the dash. Otherwise, so far, so good.

I have 1600 miles on my 2006 Escape Hybrid 4WD now and live in the mountains of Colorado. The best mileage I've gotten during warmer weather is 30.12MPG. Yesterday, during 20 below zero weather, my mileage was 27.4MPG.

All cars can be expected to get worse gas mileage in very cold weather. I suspect the typical sedan is lucky to get more than about 10-12 mpg around town in such cold temperatures. It really becomes terrible to say the least. 25 mpg under such conditions is pretty good in my book.

Richard, with my FEH, the gas tank plays tricks on me. I try to top it off where I can see the gas at the top every time. I then shake and bounce the back end to see if the gas drops so I can top it off again. A few days ago I tried to top it off to get a picture of my MTE (mile to empty). Mine is reading over 600, which is hard for many to believe. I only had 46 miles on that tank. All I could put back in the tank after trying everything was .4 of gallon. This would mean I got over 100mpg which I couldn't take to be my mileage. Since I was driving EV charge after charge and the computer said I was at 50-60 (max), I thought a number in that range would be correct. What I'm saying is over a half gallon could be an air pocket in your tank.

It turns out the MTE did not reset at this point for a reading over 600 miles. At about 40 miles of driving, the guage started to drop and my MTE reading changed to read 614. So I got a picture then.

It turned out at a latter fill up, I got 44.9mpg as an average over a few top off's. You must take an average over at least a few tanks.

One other point I'd like to share is many people have said they were able to go 40-80 miles past the 0 MTE reading. The fact that the MTE did not change when I added the .4 of a gallon tell me why this is happenning. The tank is full at 15 gallons according to the tank guage. Gas pumped in over the guage (the neck) goes through the computer system as miles to empty deducting from a 15 gallon capacity. After that happens, your at 0 MTE. The extra gas allows you to go further that was above the 15 gallons added to the tank in the neck and pockets of air.

GaryG

I would discourage trying to top off the gas tank to the last drop. Seems I have read that may not be a good idea, although I can't remember the exact reason. What I do do is to go to the same gas station and park in the same spot and then put the nozzle in the gas tank and wait until it kicks off and then put just a little more in it. But I would not try to run it out the filler tube. It'll all even out.

The gas gauge and miles to fill-up (info) do not seem to me to be totally accurate. Let's just say I'm dubious. I have seen my average mpg drop from 28.6 to 28.4 although I have a VERY light foot and run on the electric motor much of the time. (I was reading last night and I think the Ford site said one could actually drive some 20 miles on electric power alone -- but don't hold me to that.) Unlike some "hybrids", the Escape is a "true" hybrid with a powerful 94 hp motor. (The Civic "hybrid" has a 20 hp motor and both the engine and motor run all the time. Some "hybrid."

And I am suspicious of the gas gauge as I am of all gauges. The ONLY gas gauge I ever saw that was dead on accurate was my my '98 Volvo S-70. I do not understand why gas gauges can't be more accurate because I know it can be done. One of these days I may write Ford and ask them.

I would just add this. My 2003 Escape with the V6 would get maybe 20 -21 overall or even less. I even got as low as 18 which was about what I was getting with my big heavy F-150. This was running around town. I think the best I ever got with the other Escape was about 24 mpg. Which really isn't much better than the Explorer.

With the Hybrid, no problems. I'm going to get 40 mpg out of this baby someway, somehow. I wouldn't be surprised if I don't someday get 50 mpg. I have a very light foot and used to get in the low to mid 30's in my '81 Saab. And I could get a pretty consistent 26-27 mpg on the highway with my '94 Crown Vic. Around town a different story.

And tires should not be overlooked either. There IS a difference in rolling resistence between tires and check your air pressure often.

Richard, sounds like the light foot thing you have down. Your going to enjoy it more as you put the miles on it.

BTW, I did fill up the FEH at the same pump when I noticed the problem, so I think it may have got the air pocket before I added the gas. One other thing about my gas guage I see all the time. The needle will move up from the position it was at and back down to the right level again a few miles down the road. This happens more between half and full.

The FWD FEH can only go EV between 1.3 - 1.8 miles for me with a full battery. Do you have the Nav Computer? Those that do can see the battery level. There are tricks I posted here to recharge the battery on the thread "The EV Advandtage". It will be harder for you to drive EV at speeds above 32mph untill you get it broke in. When mine was new, in good weather I could get 40mpg driving a lot in EV. Good luck tring to do it and it is very posible.

As far as the Eco Plus tires, yes they have great rolling resistance. After just replacing one because of side wall damage, I found you must go through a Ford dealership to get them. Retail cost was $95 and it took a week or longer to get it.

Check out all the tricks that have been posted and try them to determine what works for you in your driving conditions. Some can really save you on gas to help pay for the FEH.

GaryG

I don't have the fancy screen. Pretty much just a standard XLT except for the Hybrid. I've lived with the same thing in my previous 2003 model and I didn't miss all of that stuff anyway. It was here and it was now and I liked the color and the deal so I bought it. The only real differences between this one and my new one are the four wheel disk brakes and the automatic door locking.

I have read somewhere (perhaps on the Ford site) that it is possible to go up to 20 miles on battery power alone. I don't anticipate doing that but it is nice knowing that there is that available.

I would forget about the air bubble situation. Just keep good records and average them out. That will be sufficient. You'll be within a 10th or so and that is good enough to suit me.