+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 22 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 ... LastLast

Actual Mileage for Ford Escape Hybrid

Just got a improvement in MPG by flooring the Escape for a few seconds to above the speed limit and coasting. This is in fast traffic situations. The electric motor boost the gas engine and then backs off fuel. You can then coast to stop lights, etc.

I'm getting over 40MPG with my driving at fill up with the FEH with my computer mile to empty being over 570 at refill. I now think that 42MPG plus is available.

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

Overall on my first tank of gas, I got 28 mpg.

So far in my second tank, I'm getting 30 mpg, with about half the driving coming on the highway and half in town. I've been as high as 42 mpg in town. I was also pleasantly surprised to see my mileage, at 65 mph on fairly level terrain and with wind less than 10 mph, to be 30!

If you're paying attention you're wondering where the low mileage must be coming from. I've noticed that it takes about 4 or 5 miles of in-town driving to get the engine and battery optimally "synced". But my commute is only 8 miles, and in the morning, includes a couple of significant uphill runs. Thus, my morning mileage is "only" 25 or so.

I have to keep reminding myself that even my lowest mileage in the FEH is higher than anything I got in my conventional Escape 4WD.

there are so many posts here, i'm not sure if this has been covered, but I saw someone post a questions about "why would mpg fall in cold weather", and I figured i'd try and explain.

When air is cold, any volume of air will have more actual air particles (oxygen, nitrogen, carbon dioxide, etc etc) than when that same air is warm. this is very basic, when heated, gas expands in volume, when cooled, volume shrinks.

now, vehicles mix gasoline and air to inject into the combustion chamber. the mix of air and gas is vital to the vehicle running correctly, so there is a computer that regulates the exact amount of air coming in, and adjusts the amount of gasoline accordingly so that the air/fuel mixture stays balanced. if the air is cold, and there is more actual air particles in a smaller volume of air, then when the computer is deciding how much gas to add to this air, it has to boost the amount of gas to equal the higher density of particles in the air that is coming into the engine.

so, colder air equals more air particles per given volume, which requires more gas to ensure a proper air/fuel mix.

I drive 52 miles to work and on I-95 in Maryland (65 mph) I am averaging 35 mpg (35.5 now and climing) on the highway. I belive my success is due to setting the cruise control at around 68 mph in 65 mph road and around 59-60 on a 55 mph road. I've always gotten 40 - 42 mpg on just short trips around home. They stated that just running on the battery would work at > 24 mph, butmany times I have it running just on electric at 35 mph.

I just got a new 4WD Escape Hybrid and was trying to find out if I can put Ethanol gas in it.The manual says to use 87 octance gas and not to use
    Premium.Living in Iowa, Ethanol gas is 89 octane and cheaper than "regular gas".

certainly - use it.

the hybrid is a basic combustion engine with an electric assist.

it will not hurt the car in any way.

see ya

I got my Hybrid Escape (4WD) around Christmas. After 5 months of learning to drive all over again. I let a note back then. My MPG has increased from 27-28 to 30 -34 MPG in mixed driving (with temps around 50-75). I am averaging about 425 miles per tank (15 gal). Highway driving without doing anything is still 28 mpg. If I scale it back and drive a bit more conservately going a bit more lightly on the gas petal I can get 30-32.

Garry:

I tried doing your over-speeding and coasting idea and it seems to work great. I get it going just a little faster then I really want to go and then I trottle back, coast a little and give gas a little. It seems like it stays in hybrid mode longer (both doing a more electric then gas thing). My mpg has increased from 30-32 to 34-36 in mixed traffic.

I keep tring to get better MPG and continue to try something. Right now, the best is 40.2 MPG. Don't reset the 15 minute computer, bring it to the 41 to 42 range. and keep it there for the tank refill.

I'm at almost 5,000 miles with an average of 38 MPG. I'm in Florida and saving fuel.

Hi, I just purchased an Escape HEV FWD. So far so good. When I first picked it up from the dealer it had 14.5 MPG, now I'm up to 24.5 MPG. I think it had alot of idle time on it before I got it. This is just after 170 miles and I still have about 2/3 tank left. I haven't reset the average MPG. Most of my trips have been short, just 2 or 3 miles. After warm up I can travel at 30mph on electric only with the cruise on. My problem is the battery never gets fully charged. Is there any techy out there that might be working on adapting a 330 volt charger to plug in and top off the battery with a peak charge? It can be a trickle charger with auto shutoff like the battery tenders for motorcycles. I don't want to burn gas just to charge the battery. Now if Ford can make this an E-85 vehicle as well I would be in seventh heaven.