+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Actual Mileage for Ford Escape Hybrid

There seem to be two schools of thought with respect to economic driving. One is to accelerate a slowly as traffic will allow, the other is to get up to cruising speed quickly to extract the maximum energy from the gas engine since it's running anyway.

I think a definitive verdict was never reached among Prius drivers as to which approach worked better...

So far (500 miles) I'm averaging around 28 MPG on an AWD Escape.

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

I've had an Escape Hybrid AWD for about 3 weeks now. I've driven about 600 miles in all types of traffic conditions and have only been able to squeeze out 22 mpg! I've taken it to the dealership, and they don't seem to know what is causing this. Has anyone else had similar problems?

We're at four weeks, and 1700 miles. I'm pretty consistently getting 27 mpg.

Are you using the defroster and A/C a lot? Those make the gas engine run all the time.

"There seem to be two schools of thought with respect to economic driving. One is to accelerate a slowly as traffic will allow, the other is to get up to cruising speed quickly to extract the maximum energy from the gas engine since it's running anyway. "

There is one way to find out, and that is with a controlled test.
    One could drive to a seldom used country road and find a flat, level dry patch about 2 miles long.
    Make sure the pack has a normally full charge and you've driven it for at least 1/2 hr to 45min. (Warmed up)

At one end of the road find a "Finish lline" landmark then go back to the beginning.

Reset your Fuel Consumption Display.
    When all is clear floor it and hold it until 55MPH is reached, then back off to the ammount to hold it steady at 55 until you reach the finish.

Write down your MPG.

Now go back to the beginning again, this time accelerate extremely slowly up to 55MPG and hold it steady there at 55 until you reach the finish.

Compare your MPG with the first time.

Do the test a couple more times to confirm your results.

Try it half throttle.

If you take the short time to do this then you will learn your vehicle that much more and know better how to handle certain situations more efficiently as long as you own it.

Yes the Honda IMA is a different puppy but wide open throttle plunges my HCH's MPG down by half.
    "Brisk" throttle was better, but very slow starts are the key.
    Your Escape is different than my HCH.....why not do the test?

I have not yet used the AC, and have only minimally used the defroster. I have also been monitoring the "Instantaneous Fuel Economy" Display to try and maximize my fuel economy by altering my driving habits to keep the bars as close to the "H" as possible. After driving over 1000 miles, I have only been able to get 22.2 MPG. I've taken the car to the dealer, and they don't have any technicians there that seem to know what's going on. Does anyone have any suggestions? Is it possible that my car has a software glitch that is causing problems with the electric/gas engine control?

I've learned over the years on automotive sites that you can't diagnose a vehicle on line. Nothing replaces seeing and driving the vehicle.

Some of the questions I would have relate to the load you are carrying, how much the gas engine is running and why, the terrain, speed, traffic, tire pressure, brakes dragging, AWD/FWD, miles on the vehicle, modifications, intake/exhaust restrictions, etc. Seeing the vehicle might answer most of these questions and generate a few more.

If this is your first 1,000 miles, they will likely want to to wait 'till it is broken in to determine if there is a problem with the vehicle. While there are variations between vehicles, generally the driving style dictates your actual mileage.

FWIW I had my first session of 30+ mpg driving yesterday. I was travelling in the Columbia River Gorge including very little high-speed freeway driving, mostly two lane highways and the scenic highway (lots of twists and turns and steep grades). Average MPG according to the computer after about 175 miles, 30.6 mpg.

just an update, after several months of owning my 4WD HEV (escape) I average when driving conservatively - about 33mpg in mixed city, highway. Around town I still do a bit better.

When I drive as I did with my gasoline car I do something closer to around 26-28mpg for the same trips.

Note for me conservative driving is basically maintaining posted speed limits and no jackrabbit starts. I did notice a small drop when it's very cold (under 20 f).

Driving "normal" is typically a bit more leadfooted and driving 70-80mph.

Hope this helps

I have had my 4 wheel drive Escape Hybrid since just before Christmas. After learning how to drive all over again I am getting 30-33 MPG (City - mixed) and 28-30 Hwy. I am waiting to see if it has enough power to pull itself out of the snow. Since I live in the DC area there isn't much off road. 'Guess I'll have to wait until the summer for the NC Outer Banks beaches.

Question, early on I noticed a bit of a hot rubbery smell when sitting idle with the heat on full. Has anyone else noticed that? Since it seems to be going away I supposed it might a break in odor from the cylitic converter?

In response to my last note, we just went through the big SNOW of Jan 15 here in the mid-Alantic states. We got about 4-5 inces on top of sheer ice.
    My hybrid Escape 4 wheel did wonderful. All I did was drive. Have had a big 4 wheel prior to this, I purposely when into a fe wsnow piles to test it out. It did great! I am so pleased. Good job Mr. Ford!