+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 22 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Actual Mileage for Ford Escape Hybrid

well after a full day of driving basically (I drive about 175 miles per day) I get around 30.5 mpg driving 70-75mph - without a lead foot and around 34.3 60-65mph. Around town for short trips it's around 44mph.

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

Actual Mileage

oh - some important info... NJ driving, escape hybrid 4wd.

TERRIFIC! Can you give a more detailed option list?

Oh yeah, and how does it do in 4wd?

Hey Sherpadude,
    I need some driving tips from you! I have the front wheel drive Escape HEV, and am averaging 30-31 on both highways and city driving. Getting about 425 miles to a tank of gas. I've had my SUV 2 weeks now, and haven't broken above 32 MPG. Whassup? I'm driving like my grandmother, truly, I am!

This said, I LOVE my new Escape, and am really happy with the handling.

Thanks,
    Joan

Joan - sounds like you are averaging about what we would expect. You should get better economy numbers in city driving because part of the time you are operating on electric motor power only.

I've been told that if you run with the A/C on, it will keep your gas engine running and affect the city numbers.

Question for new Escape Hybrid owners - Is the steering effort hard to manage with the gas engine off? Has Ford figured out a way to electrically boost the steering, rather than relying on a gas engine hydraulic pump?

If the steering effort is high, Mama is not going to like it. If it is as easy as the Aviator, she will love it.

I haven't had any problems steering in full electric mode. I'm usually in full electric in parking lots and parking, which is where you would need it the most. I'd say your mama is gonna be fine....

One thing I am wondering about is how milage will change with the cold. I was driving around on Friday in 50 degree weather and cold rain. I had the defrosters on and the car never went to full electric the entire time. I'm assuming the car simply kept the engine idle to produce the heat for the defrosters, but I have no idea how it will affect the overall milage.

Red-
    You're right..."A/C max" keeps the engine running, but I am able to run on battery only with the lower, regular A/C setting. My mileage is getting better as I learn to coast and stay off the gas pedal. I also live in a hilly neighborhood north of Malibu, so the inclines are taking more engine power.

As far as steering, I have no trouble negotiating parking or turning when running on battery, the Escape handles well...I do not perceive any difference in steering from engine to battery. Don't know how cold weather will effect mpg, will be interesting to hear from the colder climate owners.

Escape hybrid has electric power assisted steering like the Prius. Hopefully more reliable than the Prius steering racks have been so far...

Just thought I'd chime in. I've had my Escape 4WD HEV for a month now, logging over 1500 miles of mixed driving in the CA Bay Area (Oakland) -- city, freeway, foothills. It took me a while to re-learn how to drive in order to take full advantage of the hybrid's benefits. Here's what I've found:

First, I've been averaging about 27mpg on my first 4 tanks of gas. Second, the traffic conditions don't always allow for optimum economy. For example, when I accelerate from a stop, I'll drive differently if there's someone behind me. When I ramp on to the freeway, I want to get to 60-65mph as quickly as possible to get with the flow of traffic. As much as I love watching my fuel economy, I want to be considerate of other drivers and don't want to sacrifice safety for economy. Finally, having driven an Escape and now an Escape Hybrid, the Escape is definitely a peppier car.

That all being said, I love my Escape HEV so far. I was running a Honda Civic (32/38) for a few years, but found that its utility was limited. It was great for jaunting around the city, but became a bit of a drag on long trips. I coach a traveling team, and on a couple of occasions, I needed to rent an Escape to haul members of my team (and their gear) up to Reno for tournaments. There's just no way I'd make that trip in a Civic with 4 kids and their attendant equipment.

The Ford has proven to be of great utility. A given weekend might include a pleasurable drive up to the foothills with my wife and 4-year-old daughter, blasting Queen or Chris Whitley on the upgraded stereo. The Escape HEV navigates dirt roads and twist country roads with equal grace. With the three of us and a weekend's worth of gear, we still manage to grab a good load of firewood which gets stashed in the rear. All this, and 27mpg.

Sure, a Porsche Boxter would be more fun, a Prius gets better fuel economy, and a pickup would do a better job of hauling loads, but the Escape Hybrid, while a compromise in every area, still represents an excellent 1-vehicle solution.