+ Reply to Thread

Civic Hybrid 51mpg 18.9k miles

Hi All,
    I just made a new web page about my car, with the full mileage log and a graph of my mileage, which has recently been trending upward. My Civic has gotten 51 mpg so far, which is great! I do drive it mainly on the highway, and it is a manual transmission, but I must be exceeding the EPA highway estimate (51mpg) in order to have the average come out so high when I do drive around town on occasion. I am curious about other people's experiences, and about the increase in gas mileage that I've seen (but I am not the only one).

My web page is:

http://strike.colorado.edu/~sjg/land/car.html
    Cheers,
    Susanna

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

possibly you're better gas mileage is simply watching the engine break in. how many miles so far? a friends "regular" economy car started getting the best mileage at around 10,000 miles.

also simply learning the most of how the car runs helps.

any car.

i also noticed years ago with my old van that when the state would switch from the summer belnd to winter blend i'd see a drop in gas mileage. so when they switched from winter to summer blend i'd get better mileage again.

Hello Steve,
    I put the mileage in the subject of my original post. k means a thousand, and my car just turned over 19,000 miles. I agree that summer gas is more efficient (especially here on the Colorado front range) and I also agree that there is a learning curve, but this is such a gradual trend, and lasting so long, it has me puzzled.
    Cheers,
    Susanna

no puzzle - but a gradual break in combined with learning the details of the car. you're driving is becoming second nature with what the car needs. coasting to a stop, slower breaking, etc.

i've been curious of starting, accelerating, with partial assist motor verses strong use of the assist motor. i'd hate to stomp on the gas to acceperate, but i'm also not usually using much of the assist motor available. i wonder how this is really working with the car design?

steve