+ Reply to Thread

Thread: SUVs?

SUVs?

Here's my challenges: I'm ALWAYS traveling. I split my time between my music career and my conservation career. I drive hundreds of interstate miles at a time, sometimes carrying musical equipment, sometimes carrying field biology gear, sometimes carrying both. When I reach my destination, there's a 50-50 chance I'll be going off-road depending on which hat I'm wearing for that particular trip. So I need:
    1) fuel economy and enivronmental friendlieness
    2) room to carry stuff
    3) some rugged, off road capability (nothing too extreme, but ground clearance is an issue)
    4) and a REALLY dependable vehicle that can take 150,000 miles plus

I also need:
    1) lots of AC jacks for my gadgets
    2) onboard GPS/internet uplink would be nice (for weather, radar, etc.)
    3) An onboard thermometer!!!!

I currently drive a Honda CRV and would love a Honda Hybrid SUV, but I'm afraid I may not be able to wait. Seems like Toyota is going to be my only option for awhile, or am I wrong. (not buying a Ford, can't afford a Lexus)

Any thoughts? Suggestions?

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

SUVs?

You want too much from a Hybrid. Get a diesel SUV 4X4 and have a great time.

SUVs?

I don't think you are asking too much from a hybrid SUV. If you want the gas mileage and environmental impact of a hybrid, it does sound like the Highlander Hybrid is your best bet. When I went to the dealership the other day, the regular Highlander base MSRP was $29,something, so you would be for sure seeing over $30,000. Toyota pamphlets say they will come out in early 2005 calender year.

The diesel SUV might be worth a look at too, but I haven't seen any reviews or heard for sure when they will be released. My perception is that the toyota SUV's last longer than Jeep SUV's, but this is a perception, I don't know if it is true.

SUVs?

From what I have been able to find out so far the Highlander is only getting about 28mpg. Which is not good enough. The Escape hybrid is estimated at 35-40 mpg which is much better. As much as I would prefer a Toyota, but for 28 mpg you can get a diesel or there are many other cars that are getting a better mpg. I think the difference is that the Escape is a 4 cyl versus the Highlander being a 6 cyl.

SUVs?

Hi, anonymous. The Highlander Hybrid gets fewer miles per gallon because it is a heavier vehicle with a towing/payload capacity of 3,000 lbs. The Escape Hybrid can only handle a maximum of 1,000 lbs. Every manufacturer has to determine which needs they want to address, and tailor vehicles to their customers. You have to buy the car that's right for you, but have all the facts when doing comparisons and be honest about your needs. I don't want the Ford either (I need to tow a trailer - a Trailmanor, the lightest weight, most streamlined towing, most environmentally friendly travel trailer on the market), but why won't you buy a Ford if it seems best suited to your needs?