+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Georgia considering HOV lane use for Hybrids

Any word on this?

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

you cuz r so smug, u think ur better because u drive a hybid car. You all need to get a life and realize that your not better than anyone else. Get your head out of ur ass'. Although I agree hybrid cars r better they would not be given benefits over other cars.

I just went to court for driving in the HOV lane with a hybrid - and I won, kind of. We were able to pull the GA code which defines and AFV as A)electric etc and B) Hybrid vehicles with specific qualities. The reason I did not win all the way, was because I don't have an AFV tag, but the Judge said that according to the code, I qualify IF I have a tag. Getting the tag is the problem now since we are still waiting on the official list from GA dept of Rev.

I just spoke with James Udi and he said the list from the EPA has not been handed out. Any idea when the EPA should be sending that?

The last posting was in June 2006. It is now almost September. Any updates on whether or not we can drive our hybrids in the HOV in GA? This was a big part of my decision to buy the Highlander. The people at the Toyota dealerships insisted that I could drive solo in the HOV... but it seems that they may have pulled a fast one? Or at least been a little premature?

Chanes are you Highlander will not qualify on the list for vehicles allowed in the HOV lane. The original vehicle list only had cars that were around 50+ highway miles per gallon.

No url

The HOV lanes will be crowded when all cars
    are hybrids........lol

I just recieved this email from James Udi of the Georgia EPA and it states:

Thank you for your e-mail, and sorry for this late repy. I go through
    so many e-mails daily and reply to them accordingly.Hybrids are
    classified by Georgia Code as Alternative Fueled Vehicle, and they are
    likely eligible to use HOV lane with single occupancy. Eligibility of
    hybrids and the use of HOV lane will be fully implemented after a list
    of energy efficient hybrids is provided to the State by U.S. EPA. This
    mandate was given to EPA in last year's Energy Bill.

The State is now waiting for this list from EPA before alternative fuel
    tags are issued to hybrid car owners. I will include your e-mail address
    in our e-mail notification list, and will notify you when we hear from
    EPA. You can reach me at 404 363 7046 if you want to discuss this
    further. Thanks.

So now, those in Georgia and the nation, should turn there attention to the US EPA and ask about the status of this certified list of vehicles.

Prius owner

As noted above, this web site link has a good summary of where things stand officially: http://www.dot.state.ga.us/specialsu.../hov-afv.shtml

The Georgia Code sections are Section 32-9-4 (allowing use of Georgia’s HOV lanes by certain hybrids if such use of HOV lanes is permitted by Federal law), and Section 40-2-76 (specifying the issuance of license plates for hybrid vehicles for such use).

DNR has taken the position that they must wait for the U.S. E.P.A. to conduct a rule making and issue a list of vehicle. However, this position is belied by the fact that other states have already proceeded to enable HOV access. Florida is one example – right next door. A year ago already Florida issued its list of approved vehicles and implemented their program (using vehicle stickers). You can view it at http://www.hsmv.state.fl.us/html/titlinf.html I brought this to the attention of William Cook, who is in charge of this issue at Georgia DNR’s EPD (404- 363-7028), almost a year ago. Yet as I understand it they have followed Florida’s example and moved this thing forward.

Why Florida has moved forward smoothly on this issue, while Georgia’s state agencies are frozen on this and flouting Georgia law?

Call Mr. Cook and complain. Also contact Judy Reynolds at the Governor's office (who handles DNR matters) and complain -- 404-656-1776.