+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Georgia considering HOV lane use for Hybrids

The problem with Ga is nobody wants to take responsability and do the right thing. I have talked to the dept. of Natural Resources: James Udi and William Cook. Tel 404-363-7031 and 404-3363-7028. I keep getting nothing from these people. I tried to contact Doug Hooper from the tag office. He never returned my call. 404-362-2650. It seems that they are not going to do anything until lawyers get involved and that is ashame. Contact you local representitive or even better the Govenor. The current law, passed by the GA. General Assembly is in the GA code. 32.9.4 and 40.2.76. HR-14-passed and signed by the govenor on 2/09/05. California has started to issue the stickers at $8.00 a pop and we are still sitting on our hands looking like fools.

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

Correction, George Hooper's number is 404-362-6440.

New correction, his name is Doug Hooper from the Ga tag office.

Well, now this is absolute bureaucratic CRAP... I got a call from the governorís office on this issue.

As it turns out Georgia's Government does know the federal bill has passed, but they donít really care.

Here we go...

No one is qualified/smart enough to read and interpret the federal bill in the GA DOT so they have handed it off to the Georgia Environmental Department to handle. They in turn have 6 months, which I was told is quick in "Government Standards" to decide a yes or no on Hybrids in the HOV.

Iíve got to say this is one of the most ridiculous things Iíve ever heard of. I guess this explains why Georgia is 2nd to last in education; no one wants to take responsibility in anything.

If anyone wants to call the Governors office on this issue, here's the Phone Number 404 656 1776.
    Maybe if enough people call the Governor will step in....

Doubt it but worth a try...

This is a shame. Try calling Mary Ann Evans. The Gov's. office gave me her name and number and said she can help. Her #404-463-0329

I just talked with Mr Cook who is in charge of The Dept. of Natural Resources in Atlanta. He said that he must draft a document which will provide the names of the different make cars which fall under the Federal regulation of the Transportation Bill which was passed and signed by the Pres. Then he must send a copy of this document to the E.P.A. for approval. After he gets approval he will issue a copy to the Tag office / DMV / Ga. Dept of Revenue and D.N.R. He said this should take 4 to 5 weeks, end of Sept. or beginning of Oct. Our tax money at work. You can call him and maybe he will respond quicker considering the fact that California has allready started to distribute there AFV stickers. Please call William Cook at 404-363-7028.

Has anyone heard anything about HEV in HOV lately.

HAHA Yeah Ive heard.... Gotta Love Georgia

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts with me
    regarding the allowance of hybrid vehicles in HOV lanes.

It is important that your elected officials know of your concerns, and I am always pleased to receive comments from Georgia's citizens. As this is a matter more appropriately addressed at the federal level, I also encourage you to make your
    views known to your Members of Congress. For your convenience, I am including a list of the names and contact information for all members of the Georgia Congressional delegation.

I appreciate the opportunity to learn what is on your mind and hope this information will assist you as you pursue this matter further with the federal government.

Yours truly,

Sonny Perdue

SP:jr

I spoke to GA-EPD today January 25, 2006; they said they will be meeting with US-EPA this week to discuss the list of qualifying hybrid vehicles that will be eligible for single occupant use of HOV lanes. They said that GA-DMV will probably be ready to issue AFV tags to the qualifying vehicles sometime in March 2006. GA Dept of Revenue and GA-DMV are reluctant to issue tags for hybrids again until the offical EPA listing is published. The state does not want to be in the position of revoking AFV tags again as they had to do in recent years. I had an AFV tag on my 2001 Prius from December 2001 until it was revoked in Spring of 2005. I now have a new Honda Civic Hybrid, a perfect little HOV cruiser. For now I'll have to get a regular tag and switch once the grinding wheels of coordinated federal and state bureaucracy have completed the new program here in Georgia.