+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Georgia considering HOV lane use for Hybrids

Actually, the bill now goes to a conference committee, where leaders of the Senate and the House of Representatives must negotiate a compromise between their two versions of the bill.

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

Is there any way we can track this bill in the conference committee? Is there a webb site to look at? What is the process and how long does it take?

Go to thomas.loc.gov, then type in Bill No. HR3.

Can we or can we not??

If you mean can you drive solo in the HOV lane with a hybrid, the answer is "Not Yet," since the legislation is still pending. Note: I think West Virginia allows it but that state is technically breaking current Federal law.

Anyhow, the HOV waiver is tied in the Transportation Funding Bill which is still being hashed out by the legislators. The House of Reps version (Bill No. HR3.PCS) had a provision to allow hybrids if they achieved 45 MPG or greater.

The Senate version replaced that provision with one that requires a 50% increase in city fuel rating or 25% increase in combined city/highway fuel rating for the exemption.

I think the Senate version stinks, since you could drop a hybrid system into a Hummer, go from 8 to 12 mpg, and qualify for the HOV waiver, but still be driving a vehicle with crappy MPG.

I read that Ford lobbied hard for the Senate provision, because their Escape Hybrid would be eligible since it didn't get 45 MPG (I haven't verified this theory).

The flip side is that you could take a car with already good MPG (like a Honda Civic), add a hybrid (ala the HCH) and qualify for the HOV exemption with only a modest improvement in MPG.
    But why punish those who chose a very high MPG car over one that has great % improvements but still overall lower MPG?

The saga continues as the lawmakers continue to negotiate the overall bill (i'm not sure how much attention if any the HOV provision is even getting compared to the larger spending/funding issues).

I like what one person said about driving in an HOV lane in Georgia. If you bought a high mpg car why do you want to drive 80 mph?

Then there is the issue of the range of hybrids coming to market. Some of them simply have an electric motor in them for the 'Gee Whiz' factor and the massive starting torque and the mileage is nothing to write home about. You could say hybrids even more muscular than the Accord.

I think HOV lanes should be left alone.

The Senate and the House just came up with a compromise of 286.5B for the Transportation Act. This should be drawn up by the end of June and then it goes to the President for signing. In this bill is H.R.3 which will allow solo hybrid cars in the HOV lane. Drivers-Start your electric engines.

Definitely promising that this bill is moving forward. However, I'm not confident that I'll be able to go solo in the HOV lane anytime soon, since I live in California and it'll probably take the DMV and Air Resources Board a long time to develop their standards for determining which vehicles qualify for the exemption. Sigh...

Hey,

This law has passed now.... Whats going on with Georgia? I have contacted a few people in the GDOT and Environmental Division to no avail.... It seems like Georgia is going to Stonewall hybrid owners from driving in the HOV

The problem with Ga is nobody wants to take responsability and do the right thing. I have talked to the dept. of Natural Resources: James Udi and William Cook. Tel 404-363-7031 and 404-3363-7028. I keep getting nothing from these people. I tried to contact Doug Hooper from the tag office. He never returned my call. 404-362-2650. It seems that they are not going to do anything until lawyers get involved and that is ashame. Contact you local representitive or even better the Govenor. The current law, passed by the GA. General Assembly is in the GA code. 32.9.4 and 40.2.76. HR-14-passed and signed by the govenor on 2/09/05. California has started to issue the stickers at $8.00 a pop and we are still sitting on our hands looking like fools.