+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Battery life and price

I have a question that maybe you can help me with. I read somewhere on the web that if you leave the car sit for ten days without driving it you would need a jump when you returned. You could disconnect the battery before you left though and then it would be okay.

Also, the battery was expensive and need to be replaced after about 8,000 miles. The web page where I read this may have been talking about 2003 or 2002 models, if they had them then. Does anyone know about these issues?

Thanks!

Joe

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

Battery life and price

Don't know what vehicle you are looking at but I have done a lot of searching for Escape Hybrid info and find -
    The battery pack, electric motor and transmission are warranted for 8 years or 100,000 miles by Ford. Those are the "new" technologies, so I'm not worried. In 8 years, the battery pack may be cheap anyway. Under $1,000 in todays dollars.

Battery life and price

Found two different general descriptions of the Ford Hybrid battery pack. One says 300 volts, the other 330. The pack consists of 50 sets of 5 small (D-cell size) batteries for a total of 250. They have 1.3 volts each which would make 325 total volts, or there about.
    They are enclosed in a metal case. The center of the pack has a switch to disconnect the battery from the rest of the vehicle. Apparently, it can be turned (off & on) and completely removed from the battery pack for added safety (service or emergency).

As Ni-MH battery technology improves, and production increases, they prices should drop pretty dramatically. A D-cell Ni-MH battery should run about $10 today. Within a few years, that should drop to under $3 or $4, or even less.

The batteries and the technology may find their way into stationary power uses like standby for solar, wind generator, etc. Every new use encourages volume commitments and should help lower the cost of production.

Battery life and price

Battery Replacement Cost

Has anyone heard of this happening? Has anyone had to do this yet? If so, what did it cost to replace the batteries? Also, do the batteries go bad all of the sudden or do they slowly get worse and worse starting at 6 or 7 years?

Thanks, great forum and site by the way. Good work. I love the clean design and layout. Truly a gifted web developer you are.

Battery life and price

From what I've read/learned about my '04 Prius, it's battery pack is NOT the d-cell type, but still NiMH. It's a flat cell design with many cells put together. The pack itself is 202 volts and if anything needs to be replaced, it can be done one cell at a time (just the bad cells, say, if voltage is not staying at 202 V). The entire pack does NOT ever have to be replaced. Classic Prius cars (2001-2003) used as taxis in NYC have done 250,000 miles with NO battery replacement/issues. The Prius keeps the pack between 40% and 80% so no overcharging or complete depletion is possible. Plus the 8-yr, 100,000 mile warranty makes me think Toyota (and Panasonic, the battery mfg.) is proud of the pack and it's control to make it long-lasting. Plus, there is a recycling plan in place to recycle MOST of the battery and Prius parts at end-of-life. This is from the Toyota website. Love my Prius!

Battery life and price

A friend of mine from NYC who bought an early Prius told me there is a bug in early models that caused the on-board computer to drain the battery pack while the car was parked for long periods. I believe this was fixed.

Battery life and price

So no one actually know the cost of a battery for one of the available hybrids? The cost of a typical Laptop battery smaller than a VCR tape is about $100 including shipping. I read here someones guess is $1000. What is the truth here instead of speculation and rah rah?

Battery life and price

Curt, I got a price for an Escape Hybrid battery for about $7,000. Not sure if that is list price because I get a nice discount from the Ford Parts Dept. I deal with. I didn't go any further with it because it's covered by Ford for 8 years and 100,000 miles. By that time, the price and availability will change. Who knows, they may be smaller, better and cheaper by then.

Battery life and price

And if you're in a green state, it's covered for 10yrs/150Kmiles!

Battery life and price

Help, I am active duty military and am getting a honda hybrid this week. I want to know if I deploy for 6 months back to iraq that I will be able to get into my car and just start it up like I have done in the past? I am worried about buying one of these cars and getting screwed on a Battery? Will the car be able to sit for 6 months and be ok without me spending a ton of money? I am supposed to pick up the car on friday(5days form now) and am not sure what to do,,, I love mother earth and want the best gas milage I can get. Can some one help me? Thanks

CHris

Sensor3@yahoo.com