+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

66 mpg - Best in 2003 Insight

I have almost 20,000 on my 2003 INSIGHT. Best mileage obtained was 66 mpg with A/C on. Ths was with 2 aboard in light traffic--no hills. I consistantly get 46 mpg running errands in town driving. I have other conventional vehicles but use the hybrid 90 % of the time.

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

Hi,
    Have you kept records, so you know what average gas mileage your Insight has gotten for its lifetime? I suspect the Insight trip odometer might be overly optimistic, like the trip odometer in a Civic or the trip odometer in a Prius. My personal best trip odometer reading was 73mpg, driving 200 miles from Saguache to Boulder, mostly highway 285, at speeds ranging from 50 to 65 miles per hour. That route has several passes, but also 2260 ft elevation loss.
    Cheers,
    Susanna

My 2000 insight 5 spd has 58 mpg lifetime on the computer. Over 40k miles on the car now. I bought it used 2.5 years ago after owning another similar insight since 2000 (my wife wanted one with AC). "Have you kept records" is silly when the onboard computer does the math out to so many significant figures for us. I'm told it measures the gas used VERY accurately. Right now in the dead of winter in very cold Ohio I am getting 48 mpg on short trips <5 mi one way and I fill up about once a month.
    My best trip was 79.9 mpg roundtrip for a 210 mile drive to and from Cedar Point by Lake Erie, from Columbus in the middle of the state. Flat roads and few stops, averaged 50 mph. I actually did this 2 years in a row but could not crack the 80 barrier on the return trip. The average kept creeping upward as I got closer to home, I was tempted to drive around the block a few more times, but elected not to.

I bought my 2003 Insight new, and put 31,000 miles on it before selling it to a friend. My lifetime MPG was 86.2. I loved the car, and only sold it because I had a 2005 on order. Now I've owned the '05 Insight (5 spd) for a few months. After 9,500 miles I am averaging 87.6 mpg, verified with fuel receips and GPS. I keep the car very clean and display it at car shows. Most of my driving is highway. I can put in 11 gallons of fuel and go nearly 1000 miles; what a great car! Billy..

87 mpg!! Wow! Wouldn't it be nice if that was the average for all vehicles...

Quote Originally Posted by I got mine!! View Post
    87 mpg!! Wow! Wouldn't it be nice if that was the average for all vehicles...
    Yeah... That would be Amazing.. Great!!

I have had my 2003 insight since new and now have 148,000mi on it. My lifetime mileage is 52 and my best is about 63. Usually in the mid 50s. I have the cvt tranny.

Scott

60 mpg best in my 2001 CVT Insight - why not higher?

Hi folks,
    The best mileage I have gotten is 60 mpg with highway driving and 45 with city driving. I have not been using the AC, but I do have an automatic (CVT) transmission. This seems low compared to other drivers' reports. I don't think it's because of poor driving habits as I am careful to keep a light foot and watch the mpg bar to monitor how I'm doing. Any thoughts on this?
    Thanks, Joan

Quote Originally Posted by ecojoan View Post
    Hi folks,
    The best mileage I have gotten is 60 mpg with highway driving and 45 with city driving. I have not been using the AC, but I do have an automatic (CVT) transmission. Any thoughts on this?
    Thanks, Joan
    Hi Joan,
    You don't say what the average values you've been getting are, but the corrected MPG ratings (based on the new 2008 EPA standards) for your vehicle (at www.fueleconomy.gov) are 45 mpg city and 49 mpg highway. Unless you are significantly lower than that, no worries.
    -Don

I have a 2001 Honda Insight

I have a 2001 Honda Insight with 5spd manual transmission. When I drive Seattle to Anacortes, WA about 80miles distance. I can get over 75 MPG reliably at 50 to 60 miles per hour. When I drive this trip and try to get the best mileage possible I have gotten 103.1 miles per gallon on 70 dergee+ summer days.This is repeatable and reliable, i have checked the accuracy of my guages and they are spot on +_ 3%. The usually cool 50 degree weather realy can lower the fuel econemy by over 10%. To get this mileage I am always in lean burn mode, when the car switches to regular burn mode.... I realy lay off the gas and freeway speeds can drop to 45 miles per hour for about 15 seconds before it kicks back into lean burn mode and I can speed up to 55+ miles per hour. This is NOT normal driving. I suspect that I have a Skunk Works Skunkworks Motor in this car. it is UNBELIEVABLE the difference when I drive most other Insights, they often do very poorly compared to the way this 2001 model runs. I have been in a 2000 model car with a new battery pack and it gets only 67 MPG driving it the best that I possibly can,,,, These cars do vary alot. My 2001 now has 62,000 miles on it and it can reliably get over 100 MPG when driven in "wierd driver supper conservation mode". I do not drive this way very often since I usually like to get places a bit faster.