+ Reply to Thread

46 mpg at Slower Speeds

I commute 100 miles roundtrip to work in my civic hybrid. If I take the freeway with a 65 mph speed limit my average is 40mpg. For awhile I thought this was the best mileage the car was capable of until out of pure boredom I decided to change my route. My alternate route consists of more rural roads with an average speed of 45 to 50 mph and my gas mileage has improved to 45 to 46 mpg. I understand that many of you may not have the opportunity to take an alternate route such as this but it does illustrate how gas mileage is improved at slower speeds.

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

46 mpg at Slower Speeds

I 2nd your comments, I also average about 45 on back roads and low 40 on highway.

46 mpg at Slower Speeds

interesting! i drive 60 miles round trip on the 210 freeway thru the pasadena area (southern california). the speeds are from 75 to zero. right at the pasadena zone speeds are usually 10 to 20 MPH. i'm getting 48 MPG.

i generally use the cruise control when the road is clear, the econo button always on. the AC has been on or off about 50-50 of the time.

46 mpg at Slower Speeds

2003 Civic 4dr Hybrid trip meter inaccuracy:

I just hit 75,000 miles on mine. On my last round trip from Sacramento to Los Angeles (380 miles each way) I did an experiment to see if I could improve on my typical 40-45 mpg combined w a/c. This route includes climbing over a 4000 ft. elevation along I-5.

The trip to LA was just me in the car, cruise control set at 60 mph in the right lane, speeding up briefly to pass slower vehicles. I was pleased to average 59 mpg w a/c. On the way back my daughter & I shared driving 65-75 mph, averaging 46 mpg w a/c. All available car space was occupied with her luggage.

When refuelling, I've noticed the trip meter average is consistantly more optomistic than my calculation by 2 mpg. Everything on the vehicle is standard and tire pressure is good.

46 mpg at Slower Speeds

Hi Eric,
    I agree with you about cruise control be amazingly effective at conserving gas. I use it as much as possible, which is a lot since I tend to drive empty highways. It seems to draw on the batteries more, and regulates the speed better than I can manually. By the way, do you drive a manual or an automatic? I think manuals get a lot better mileage. I have also seen a bias on the mileage reported by the trip odometer. In my case, the trip odometer averages 3.7 mpg high, averaging over every tank I've bought.
    Cheers,
    Susanna

46 mpg at Slower Speeds

Automatic transmission (CVT).

46 mpg at Slower Speeds

I am courier and I bought my Honda Civic in February. I put 200 miles a day on my car. I am right at 35000 miles for the year so far. I drive 100 miles on the road and 100 miles city delivery. When I first got the car I was doing about 45 miles per gallon. I don't use my air condition very much basicly because I like fresh air better but that still figures in on it. I checked the bridgestone tires to see what the max air pressure that was allowed.The tire said not exceed 44 pounds. Honda set the pressure at 30 pounds. So I experimented and set the pressure at 38 pounds. My gas milage instantly went up to 50 miles per gallon. I rotate the tires every 10,000 miles and I do not see any undo wear on them. I can't feel any difference in the ride either. I drive the highway at 65 mph and I try to be light on the gas pedal when I am in town. According to the computer I am doing better in town than on the road. the best I ever did was 52 mpg but normally average between 49 and 50. Certain gas runs better than others and could mean the difference of 2 or 3 mpg. if anyone has any tips please let me know

Rhake

46 mpg at Slower Speeds

Hi Rhake,
    I agree with you that it's good to run the tires at a higher pressure than the manual says. I generally run mine at 35-38 PSI. It doesn't seem to matter much for handling on dirt roads, but it might be somewhat worse on snow. I've found the car somewhat difficult to control on snow in general, because it's very easy to spin the tires uselessly. Could you let the forum know what you've found when replacing your tires? I've had two flats this year, and I only have 20K miles, so I am not very impressed with the durability of the tires, but I am afraid that replacing them with standard ones might kill the gas mileage.
    Cheers,
    Susanna