+ Reply to Thread

Cool just bought my first prius, how i got better gas mileage with my 2008 gen 2 prius

all my life i wanted a car that got 40 mpg.
    I used to [ & still do] hate going to the gas station & coughing up $40.00 for a tank of gas.
    jan 17,13, - i finally bought a car that _almost_ does.

I got a 2008 prius with 94,000 miles for $14,500.00 from a toyota dealer.
    I could have gotten the same year prius from a used car lot for $9,000.00 but with 134,000 miles & looking really beat.
    Mine is showroom clean,with no marks or dents at least for another couple of weeks, until the crows see it & make a bombing run on it.

my 30 mile drive home from the dealership got me 25 mpg highway and 27 mpg city.

I thought i was driving home slow to get good gas mileage, 55 to 60,hiway, but using the way a regular gas engine (my 98 honda civic) gets better mileage.

I was beside myself thinking that they had sold me a prius with the prior owners problems, that is, it dont get mpg for nothing.

this caused me to do a weeks research on prius generation2

you have to learn a different way of driving a prius.

0 to 25 mph ,electric, then it swiches to gas, moderate acceleration to 35 or 40 and then let all the way off the gas, into regenerative braking, if you need to charge the ni cads. but this slows you down rather quickly and you end up using gas in a little spurt to get back up to 40 mph-- if you have room before the next light.

So i learn GLIDING which is just the same EXCEPT when you get up to 40 mph and let compleatly off the gas now you press the gas just a little to go into glide mode.
    use a feather touch here, because too hard a press on the gas goes into gas engine acceleration. while gliding, the gas engine is running on idle or may shut off, depending on if you get the right touch to the gas pedal.
    so far,i think my gas engine is idling while i glide, but it may be off, i cant hear when the gas engine is running unelse i really step on it hard and make it groan. that, i can hear. 42 years of firearms practice ruined my ears.

any ways, in glide mode,
    you can tell because you dont feel the slow down caused by regenerative coasting, you actually feel the car rolling a bit faster & easier, in glide.

I cant see the arrows on the multi function display without my reading glasses and i cant drive with my reading glasses on, (not fun, even a little, being 64 years old) so i learned to do it by feel of car rolling freely.

so ,i end up with 38.9 mpg combined, with glide -- still not the 45 highway/ 50 city as advertised.
    I went back to toyota , 60 day warrantee, and the service guy did a test drive to make sure every thing was working ok and it was.

How i resolved it.

The car came with new mud & snow tires, which is a big plus in conn. in jan in case we get a foot of snow (northeaster blizzard) BUT snow tires are at least a 10 % MPG
    penility and 17 degree driving can be a 30 % mpg penility.

So, im starting off with a 40% mpg penility for snow tires and artic weather driving. 7 deg outside as i type.

I put a can of fuel injector cleaner in the gas tank, cost $!.00 ,at dollar tree or $3.00 at wal mart & i feel that this will get me 3 to 5 mpg more, even in the 10 deg weather.

It always did with my regular gas engine cars.

so, I am hoping to see 45 highway & 50 city, as advertised in the spring & summer & even if i dont, at least i am getting 39.4 mpg thanks to the injector cleaner i put in the gas.
    so far i went 120 miles on 2 bars of the gas gague, which has 10 bars & a 11.6 gal capacity, so 20 % x 11.6 gal= 2.32 gal gas into 120 miles=51.72 mpg from the( guess gague ), because the gas gague is so inaccurate because of the rubber bladder gas tank.

so im either getting 39.4 mpg if i believe the mfd or 51.72 if i believe the gas gague or
    45.56 if i take the average of the two.

spring will tell and i have not yet tried increasing my tire pressure to the maximum rating printed on the sidewalls of the mud & snow tires, because its too dammed cold outside , this month.

If any one has some advise or knowledge, or your own experience, please reply to this
    post.

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

just bought my first prius how i got better gas mileage with my 2008 gen 2 prius

i want to move in to a flat below mine.. its bigger.. but guy has card gas meter xpnsv.. wud it cost me to get put on to normal meter in,. and do u think there will b lots of bother over his o/s debt.. ???

Increase CNG efficiency

You can pursue some good step . The CNG cylinder’s force falls as it drains down, and can origin the valve to blow up. Also, restore the valves regularly .To increase your pickup in CNG you can get pickup booster and after 2 year change your engine.

Open letter to Ford:

I thought my 2013 C-MAX would be a Prius Killer? NOT! As a returning Ford buyer I feel deceived. I want to support US companies and US jobs. What was Ford thinking when they published 47/ 47/47 estimates? Based on the advertised EPA estimates, I would have been ok with low 40\'s but 28-33 mpg is not even in the ballpark. This is not an issue about EPA testing standards, but rather an issue about setting false customer expectations in order to promote sales. Ford\'s \"47MPG\" marketing campaign tarnished what should have been the roll out of a truly remarkable vehicle, the CMAX. Real world MPG estimates should have been promoted in the mid-30\'s. No one would have questioned those numbers and the CMAX would have received the accolades it deserves. How these MPG estimates made it through Ford corporate is beyond me! Maybe it was the rush to go to market? I have been accused of not knowing how to drive hybrid. For the record, during the last three years I have leased both a 2010 Prius and 2010 Honda Insight Hybrid, and consider myself an experienced hyper-miler. My mileage in the Prius is 50 plus, the Insight is 40 plus. The C-MAX is a well-built car, with extremely inflated EPA estimates. I respectfully request that this matter be investigated as soon as possible. My efforts to deal with this locally and through Ford customer service have frustrated me to no end. The constant response? \"You need to learn to how to drive hybrid type of vehicle \". Is there a difference how I drive Prius Hybrid vs. the CMAX hybrid? I think we all know the answer to that. I need someone at Ford to reach out to me and assist in a proactive manner so we can put this matter to rest.

Ronald Kramer Yankee Ford Customer
    South Portland, Maine

I agree with your point of view but you need first talk to with fort customer care center and describe you problem and thoughts about fort.

I’m also dreaming of a new Toyota Prius MPG. The vehicle is very cost efficient and economical. Prius offers an EPA-estimated 51 mpg city--48 mpg highway and 50 mpg combined. My friend has this and If I’m not mistaken he got it from Sandy Springs Toyota . They have so many vehicles to choose from and they will give you the right Toyota to fit your budget.

Gas mileage has a plenty of benefits for the long rout as once we are going on two crucial vans one is Corolla and other was Prius then in the mid the prius has been totally stopped | Inch Bearings because lot of gas has been wasted in the tough and dirty road with heavily loaded van which made it very bad at the end and it did not accept the hopeful mileage at the end but we covered it very easy on that spot with other alternate.

Thank you for sharing that info how to impove mileage. I just bought a 2008 toyota prius with 29,000 miles on it and got 48 mpg in summer but now I put new tires on it and got 37.8 mpg, and it is not that cold yet. only 50 to 60 degrees so I was really disappointed.