+ Reply to Thread
    Banned

Do cars get better gas mileage in the summer since the air is lighter?????

the reason why I ask is because the fuel consumption through out the year is relatively the same, as it was showing by gov. data. I thought that people drove more in the summer so why isn't the consumption more. could this be the reason

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

This theory is true to an extent. As you pointed out, warm air is a factor but there are other factors in play including rolling resistance, air pressure etc.

Quote Originally Posted by shawnjo View Post
    the reason why I ask is because the fuel consumption through out the year is relatively the same, as it was showing by gov. data. I thought that people drove more in the summer so why isn\\\\'t the consumption more. could this be the reason
    You can check this graphic by Auto Loan Solutions to see the cost of operation for gas vehicles https://www.autoloansolutions.ca/ele...re-the-future/.
    Last edited by tommypress; 09-28-2016 at 02:08 PM. Reason: spelling mistake

of course , the problem starting in winter and cold weather

In region with snowfall and cold climate the average and mileage do matter in summers. The engine needs more fuel in winters to keep it warm and running. Once the engine starts the temperature does not play a role.

+ Reply to Thread