+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

IMA BATTERY AND THE FIX

BACKGROUND: I took delivery on a 2006 Civic Hybrid in October 2006. I Live in San Antonio, TX. Odometer reads about 16,500. Lifetime MPG is 52MPG.

DISCUSSION/BACKGROUND:

1. Obviously this is a low mileage Hybrid. About mid July of this year, I noticed the IMA SOC indicator beginning to perform some wild fluctuatiions, that I had never observed until then. SOC would be at one bar and then after five minutes of driving it rose to full SOC of 10 bars. Then it would go back to one to three bars of SOC. I ignored for awhile. One day the car would barely start. In Late July I took to the dealer. The inspection revealed no problems.

2. I had to take a long business trip to Kansas (1,700 miles). Car performed fine; in fact MPG for the trip was 58.97MPG.

3. On 8 Oct 09, the check IMA and check engine lamps illuminated. Took the car into dealer. Diagnosis result was need a need IMA battery. American Honda said check this software fix to see if codes clear. No such luck. Dealer ordered a replacement IMA battery, which was installed today.

4. Diagnosis codes were 1181H5, 118500, and 823505. Part installed was an IMA battery part # 1D100-RMX-305RM U2909515.

5. Passing this information on due to lots of "chatter" in this forum on IMA batteries. All appears to be fine with my car right now. Will post comments in the future, if something changes.

6. Dealer told me if work was not under warranty, cost would have been $3,500. I asked how many IMA batteries has American Honda replaced; answer appears to be this is proprietary information. Dealer reports that they have replaced about one to two IMA batteries per year in the last four years. That replacement includes original Insight, Civic hybrids, and Accord Hybrids.

Our Civic Hybrid had its IMA

Our Civic Hybrid had its IMA battery die with less than 2400 miles on the car, in nine-months time after new purchase. After the first oil change, the battery failed. The IMA battery was replaced under the warranty. I am very un-inpressed with failure, and thus the Honda brand. Does Honda ever replace these with re-furbished batteries instead of new? Does Honda have a 're-furbished' battery part number?

There is only one part

There is only one part number for the battery pack. It is unknown if the battery cells are new or refurbished. The housings and electronics of the battery pack are most likely refurbished, but who cares. Very rarely does anything fail other than the cells.

Our IMA battery just failed

Our IMA battery just failed after 105,000. The problem is that we tried to trade it in six months ago and Honda would not take it in trade. The extra cost in purchase price plus replacement battery makes this hybrid technology impractical based on cost of repairs and the savings on gas

Your IMA battery should

Your IMA battery should still be under warranty at 105, 000 unless you are past the 10 year mark? The Honda warranty is 10 yrs 150,000 miles.
    --
    Eric Powers
    HybridCars.com Moderator
    Green Drive Expo Organizer (See you there!)

Eric, Civic Hybrids are

Eric,

Civic Hybrids are covered by 8/80,000 warranties except 2003 SULEVs in CARB states which have 10/150,000. CVTs are SULEV MT are ULEV. 2004-2005 are all 8/80,000 everywhere because they changed the ratings of SULEV. This legal definition changing is also why 2000-2004 Insights can get NY CleanPass stickers (single driver in HOV lane), but 2005-2006 can't.

Ron

Richard, Your battery can be

Richard,

Your battery can be repaired for a reasonable price. Please contact me if you'd like more information.

It is really a great

It is really a great expirience. Blogging is really a great jog. I also like blogging thanks for this article.
    jacob
    Lawyer Marketing

It is really a great

It is really a great expirience. Blogging is really a great jog. I also like blogging thanks for this article.
    jacob
    Lawyer Marketing

Ron, You are correct. My

Ron,
    You are correct.
    My mistake. Thanks for pointing that out.

--
    Eric Powers
    HybridCars.com Moderator
    Green Drive Expo Organizer (See you there!)