+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

How much for oil changes?

So I just took our 2003 HCH to the dealer for an oil change and feel like I got reemed! $70 not even including sales tax. The service manager told me it takes special Honda oil blah blah blah this and blah blah blah that. I told her an oil change is an oil change and 0-20w doesn't cost anymore than say a good quality 20-50W so why twice as much? Other places only charge around $30 - $35 bucks! I also told her there was no way in hell I was bringing my car back to that dealer for oil changes if it cost that much. She didn't seem to care.

BTW the dealer is Burien Honda in the Seattle area.

I am curious to know how much everyone else pays for there hybrid oil changes?

Sorry to say this, but the

Sorry to say this, but the 0W20 Honda oil does cost a lot more than their regular oil.

Although I have heard of people paying a little less, I still don't think $70 is a killer cost at all. Yes, it could be cheaper for sure but not by much.
    A place that charges only $35 is not going to use the oil grade your car needs for sure.

I pay a little more than $70 but that is because the service checklist for a hybrid at my dealer is indeed different than the oil change service checklist for a regular gas-only Honda.

Cheers;

MSantos

The part department sell the

The part department sell the 0W20 oil at my (Canadian) dealership for around $9 (Canadian) per bottle. They ask around $9 for thhe filter as well.

At some services I've had a "discount" on the oil, at other not. Not sure why, maybe depends on prevailing wind direction?? Anyway, the oil price difference is about $10.

For oil change *only* (no filter change) 3 liters are needed, per the manual. That qty goes up to 3.4 litres with filter change. Liters are 1000cc, (US) quarts are 946cc, the Can/US dollars are virtually at par.

Our dealership *consistantly* charges me for 4 liters, even if only the oil is being changed. Also, you really have to argue with them to get them to refrain from changing the filter. It is Honda's instruction to *only* change the filter at every other oil change, but the dealerships in my area have collective difficulty reading this instruction, and really give you an argument if you ask them to comply with the Honda instruction.

So, for any Hybrid oil changes, the oil might account for plus $10, if that. There's also a bit more labour in a Hybrid oil change, taking the plastic underbody shield off to get at the drain and filter. They might factor something in for that.

Good points Mendel. On my

Good points Mendel.

On my last oil changes for both my car and my wife's, they placed the Honda 0W20 bottle with the left-over oil in the trunk (wrapped in a plastic bag). Since I had a few such leftovers from previous oil changes, I ended up just paying for 2 liters for my wife's oil change.
    But yes, the cost is roughly $9 a bottle (liter).

Because the regular oil often comes in bulk as opposed to the bottles the 0W20 Honda oil comes in, its cost is much lower and likely to be the type of oil they offer in service deals and other maintenance packages.

Cheers;

MSantos

$5.87 at Wal-Mart for Mobil

$5.87 at Wal-Mart for Mobil #1. $19.99 is all I get charged for an oil change at the dealer.

my son has a 1993 jeep

my son has a 1993 jeep cherokee4.0 high output 6 cylinder how much oil with oil filter will it take

Dec. 18, 2009 I paid around

Dec. 18, 2009 I paid around $73 ($50 oil change + labor cost $15 + Tax) for Honda 0W20 Hybrid oil change in NJ. On Dec. 15, I went to other garage not the Honda dealer for oil change, I paid $22; after the oil was changed from this garage, I heard a loud noise when starting my car...., and i noticed that the engine is like a year old car nit the two- year-old hybrid car. This situation has been for three days. And it's not as smooth as it used to be. I had to be back to the dealer for oil change today. I can tell the difference after using 0W20. It's much better and smooth!

Alright not to drag up the

Alright not to drag up the past but I went to another Honda dealer and they only charge $52. I asked him if the filter was special and he said no it's the same number as the regular civic. So i bought a filter from him for $7 and bought 0W-20 at Walmart for $24 for a gallon and did the oil change myself. $31 for an hour's worth of work is worth it to me. It aint rocket science. I would say shop around to different dealers when you need basic servcie.

There are several

There are several advantages, and a few disadvantages to doing your own oil changes. I've switched over from dealership changes to doing my own now, for several reasons:

1. More convenient, avoids tying your car at the dealership for at least 1/2 day

2. Gave up battling with them regarding overfilling, changing filter at "Service A", etc.

3. "shop supplies" charges

Disadvantages:

1. Loss of what MSantos calls "dealer good will". In other words, if you don't get you oil changes through them they might be more reluctant to go to bat for you, with something major like an ailing IMA battery.

2. Not keeping in touch. The dealership does have pros, aware of the latest service bulletins and issues with your car. OTOH, it's a shame that they drive customers to doing their own work, with high prices, long waits, lackluster diagnosis, refusal to follow Honda's maintenance schedule.

Case in point:

A few years back we had an Accord. Out for a drive, it started sounding really *sick* each time the brakes were applied, with a sound coming from driver's front corner. Got home, pulled that tire, and found a hairline crack in the brake rotor.

I phoned the dealership, brought it in. About an hour later I got a call from the "service writer": no problems with your car, you can swing by and pick it up...

For about 1/2 second I was actually relieved. Then sanity kicked in and I told him politely to get the mechanic to have another look.

After I'd hung up I went into a slow burn: these guys are supposed to be pros! I emailed the Service manager. An hour later he was on the phone to me, apologizing. He mentioned he had the (cracked) rotor on his desk, LOL.

That Service Manager was actually a bright light in that dealership. He would personally go over repairs with you, explain options, make suggestions. Very candid, helpful. He's moved on. With the current SM, I've showed up at 5pm saturday, when service is still open but parts has gone home, asking for wiper blades, to be to told sorry, you're sol.

i agree with the comments

i agree with the comments about the dealership always wanting to change the filters at "service A." It has happened to me both times that I have brought my HCH2 for service A. After the 2nd time, I menioned it in a post-service questionairre that I was sent. The answer from the service manager that called me in response to it was that the recommendations from Honda Canada that are printed in the manual are wrong, and filters should be changed with every oil change. It is their policy to do so. I even asked them why their sign in the service bay even says that service A does not need an oild filter change, and their response was that the sign from Honda Canada is wrong too. So strange.