+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Battery replacement cost

I was talking with my brother and he had told me that the cost of replacing a battery for a hybrid car would be well over 3,000 dollars. I had told him, not true. The cost I was told from a Toyota dealer would be about 1,000 dollars.Please help me to see which one of us is correct. Thanks.

Battery replacement cost

I have heard of it being around 3-thousand dollars too.

But, hybrid batteries have long warranties and have oulasted their warranties greatly and are still going.

There is a blog on this site about a man with a 100k mile+ Honda Civic Hybrid, and has had no problems since.

Battery replacement cost

I have almost 70K miles on my Civic and is as good as the day it rolled off the lot.

Battery replacement cost

Also keep in mind that you're talking about electronic technology. By the time you need a replacement (if you every do) battery technology will be so much farther (we may not actually even be using "batteries" any more), that you'll probably be able to get a much better one for much cheaper.

Battery replacement cost

What about the cost of replacing other items in a hybrid? Will the parts that capture energy from braking and coasting last forever? I don't think so. Then there's the electric motor. Last forever? I don't think so. That's what has me hesitant about getting a hybrid. I keep my vehicles over a decade. I don't like the idea of having to replace at a dealer - at dealer labor rates and dealer parts rates - what costs 3000 or more to add to a car at the factory. It's scary to think what they dealer would charge to replace all of your hybrid components.

Battery replacement cost

What most people forget is that most cars have unique electronic and electric components.

Hybrid models 'so far' are simple in design and I dare say there are so many Prius' on the road now that there will be 'off market' battery replacements before they ever go bad from age.

By then the knowlege of working on hybrid systems should have worked its way down the auto repair shop food chain as well.

Battery replacement cost

Rob, the hybrid components are warrantied out the wazoo.... 10years/150K miles in green states, and something like 8yrs/100K miles everywhere else.

Battery replacement cost

"Will the parts that capture energy from braking and coasting last forever?"

I have no idea regarding any 2nd party or used batteries but if one had the need,
    I know Honda and Toyota also includes these components as part of the battery replacement cost.
    It's not just a pack of batteries.

I would guess the other MFG's do the same.

When you guys get broadsided

When you guys get broadsided by a full size Surburban the cost of your batteries nor you warranties will matter, you'll be dead!

Well I hate to rain on your

Well I hate to rain on your parade, but I just got a quote on a battery replacement for a 2003 Honda Insight with 150,000 miles.

Try $6312.70 !!!!!!!

The battery (refurbished) replaced and 2 control modules plus labor.

I do not see where hybrids are cost effective and I own 3 of them. For That kinda of money I can buy 1500 gallons of gasoline at $4 a gallon. I am really miffed because I was told around $1500 to replace the battery when I bought it. Who wants to invest that kind of money when the car is 5 to 10 years old. I was once a hybrid man but they are a scam....