+ Reply to Thread

IMA - Push Honda for better software!

The Civic hybrid is a great car! I've been thinking about SOLUTIONS to IMA problems.

Most of my issues started one year ago when I brought the car in for airbag sensor recall. The IMA software was upgraded, out of warranty, without my permission. Honda will not put it back. I know many companies now watch forums, so hopefully this posting will make it past the front line.....

Most of the complaints center around the IMA control software. Issues are operating temperature, dumping charge, and usable battery capacity. These parameters and algorithms are all programmable. If enough customers request a fix for these issues, I think Honda will respond.

Suggested improvements for new IMA software:
    1) More usable battery capacity (use more of discharge curve)
    2) Wider temperature operating range (especially hot)
    3) Improved IMA error indication/diagnostics (battery capacity-value/percent would be best, thermal, or current/charging error)
    4) Backward compatibility (including original 2003 software)

Any other suggestions?

These are great ideas. While

These are great ideas. While not directly related to software modification, Honda (or the aftermarket) should develop a kit to allow the new Lithium Ion battery in the 2012 Civic Hybrids to be fitted into the 2003-2011 Civic Hybrids.

I was wondering if an aftermarket company such as Hondata who makes primarily applications for performance would be able to devise an ECU piggyback/reflash to 'override' the factory software settings and employ a more aggressive (or conservative) computer mapping for IMA. This would be a great way to get around the software patch from Honda, while possibly turning up the power OR potentially the MPG.

Thank you for your

Thank you for your constructive feedback. If anyone has or can trace a schematic diagram for the IMA assembly, we can look at a hardware workaround. My address ak2f@optimum.net

Speaking of hardware, has anyone tried the aftermarket new battery packs yet? I'm hesitant to spend the money until I get the controller back to where it needs to be.