+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

only 30mpg on my 2008 prius - why?

I just bought a 2008 used Prius with 20K miles on it (was previously a rental car). I'm only getting about 30mpg. Granted I mostly do short drives in city traffic, but this seems low to me. Is there a chance that something is wrong with the car, and if so, what and would it be fixable?

When I stop getting good

When I stop getting good mileage, I check the air in the tires. Because the tires are "heavy duty" due to the weight of the battery, etc. the tire pressure is often set lower than it should be. When I put more air in the tires, make sure not more than rated on the tires, I always get better gas mileage. Also, it wouldn't hurt to take it to a toyota dealer, under warranty, and they often can tweak it to improve performance. If it does not start to get at least 45 miles/gallon, something is wrong. Watch the guages, learn to drive more evenly, and steady on the gas pedal. You will get better performance in time. Don't settle, sometimes,, a new battery is needed. Also, I just remembered if you are carrying extra cargo, think weight, it will also lower the mileage,. resest the readout each time you get gas, you don't need high octane. I've had mine since 2002, and still get 47mpg avg, it's great in snow and sleet, just a little slippy in heavy rain.
    good luck, S

I have 142,000 on my 2004

I have 142,000 on my 2004 Prius. I commute 56 miles per day in mixed Chicago traffic. My driving technique is "aggessive survival" so the cars available performance is well used. I am around 42 mpg for the life of the car.

Do you have LRR tires at the correct maximum poundage for the rating inside the driver door? Is the air cleaner new? Does the car coast well, maybe you have brake drag? Does your <40 mph mileage when you barely touch the pedal at +60 to 100 mpg on the screen?

Check the above and correct if you can. If still getting poor mileage, see a reputable Toyota dealer and run engine diagnostics, something is wrong.

I have 142,000 on my 2004

I have 142,000 on my 2004 Prius. I commute 56 miles per day in mixed Chicago traffic. My driving technique is "aggessive survival" so the cars available performance is well used. I am around 42 mpg for the life of the car.

Do you have LRR tires at the correct maximum poundage for the rating inside the driver door? Is the air cleaner new? Does the car coast well, maybe you have brake drag? Does your <40 mph mileage when you barely touch the pedal at +60 to 100 mpg on the screen?

Check the above and correct if you can. If still getting poor mileage, see a reputable Toyota dealer and run engine diagnostics, something is wrong.

I am guessing that you live

I am guessing that you live in a region where the weather gets cold in the winter. Summer I can get up to 60 mpg in the right conditions but my Prius milage tanks in winter (36 mpg) for several reaons.

Fuel mixture changes due to local regulations to reduce pollution. The winter mix seems less efficient.

Cold weather means that the ICE runs far more to warm up the passanger compartment.

The liner in your fuel tanks shrinks and makes it seem like you are getting even worse milage than you actually are.

You can combat these issues by installing a block heater or keeping the car in a carage to reduce warmup times. Installing insulation and air dams in the engine compartment to limit passive cooling helps a lot too.

bought a 2008 prius and live

bought a 2008 prius and live in new york city. i thought i would get better mileage in city rather than hwy, as advertised. while taking 200 mile trips my mpg hovered around 45. when i started city driving it started dropping and is now below 41 mpg. am not an aggressive driver and will not rabbit start, most of the time. i only have 5000 miles on car. what am i doing wrong. what can i do to get better mileage

I have a 2008 and only put

I have a 2008 and only put about 500 miles/month on it and my mileage is about 37. My commute is 3 miles each way with a total of 14 stop signs or lights. Any advice?

I've had a 2008 Prius since

I've had a 2008 Prius since late April and I live in the NYC area. Most of my driving is street driving (about 15 miles a day) and I have NOT found the claim about better mileage in street driving to be true for me. I generally get better mileage on the highway. I read someone's opinion on one of these threads that the Prius battery just isn't strong enough to deliver on the stated street mileage claims. I don't know, but overall I'm very happy with the car.

Since May my monthly mileage averages have ranged between 41 and 47. This month, however, I'm doing about 34. My tire pressure is fine, I'm not carrying extra cargo and I think I'm a "Prius-friendly" driver, so I attribute to the sharp drop off to the well-documented (on this board, at least) winter mileage reduction. In general, the vehicle just doesn't get its best mileage in cold weather. Here's hoping for a mild winter.

Jay

2008 Prius - Same problem

2008 Prius - Same problem initially with better mileage on highway than in city start/stop traffic.
    Basically told by dealership service manager that I needed to change my driving habits to "give it the gas-get up to speed as quickly as possible, then back off the pedal and let er coast or use the cruise control." Guess what? I average 48mpg now.
    By the way, the cruise control is the cars computer automatically calculating fuel/air, etc. requirements to keep the speed at it's set point, you cannot beat it for fuel economy during a trip on the highway.

Please define exactly what

Please define exactly what you mean by "short drives". Our Prius gets terrible MPG until it's warmed up - about 5 minutes.

Have you taken any long road trips with it?