+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Prius Problems?

Prius Problems?

So, yeah the Toyota problems were big news, but I haven't really heard about runaway Priuses in a while. So I figure if every Toyota were a rolling death trap it would still be big news. But if someone can confirm that you can drive a Prius and not die, please let me know so my wife's head doesn't explode when I bring up getting one.

Thanks

Prius has been sold for

Prius has been sold for almost 10 years. It accounts for almost HALF of all hybrids sold world wide.

Yes, there are some isolated problems ( a few dozen cars among millions of Prii on the road). But this has been NO WORSE than anything GM, Ford, Chrysler have already had. Look up recall histories on the Pinto, Explorer, Crown Victoria, etc.

This is making headlines, because in the past, Toyota never had recalls or serious probems. They had the "squeeky clean" reputation.

My theory is that the recalls never started until Toyota started building cars in the US.

In November, my Prius07

In November, my Prius07 dashboard went RED. Limped 20 mi to dealer (after advised ok to drive it); they got a "code" they had never seen before. Kept the car for 3 days (provided me a free rentl) and without any detailed explanation said only they put in a new "brain", new "master control".

Yesterday, (June 22/10) went RED again; all flashing indicators seemed to relate to brakes. Once turned off, would turn on but would not allow shifting to D or R; that car was determined NOT to be driven. Towed to dealer ($78), still under warranty. Dealer had it all day; will not talk about it; said they would call me when ready.

I'm concerned. I drive often in W Kansas and E Colorado where dealer is sometimes 200 mi away; if this continues, I may have a Hell of a towing bill.

Well, I was towed in ($78),

Well, I was towed in ($78), and they found BOTH batteries were DEAD DEAD DEAD. No explanation found as to how it happened.
    However I learned that under both warranty and extended warranty (if you have one), the towing bill to nearest Toyota dealer is paid
    -- which is a great relief for I drive often thru W Kansas,E Colorado where is sometimes 200 mi to the nearest Toyota dealer. I'll tell you those farmers out on the plains drive Chevys and Fords, NOT Toyotas. Only thing done to my Toyota was to spend 2 days charging both batteries.
    I remember day I bought it when saleswoman was showing me the controls, I observed the battery indicator and asked what if it went to empty; her answer, "Dont' worry, NEVER HAPPENS". Never take the word of a salesperson re mechanical details.

My daughter's 2007 Prius is

My daughter's 2007 Prius is making wierd noises when it idles but not when driving. She is worried that it may be the battery which she says is terrfically expensive to replace. How can you tell when the battery is dying?
    Thanks

If you are hearing a low

If you are hearing a low pitch buzzing noise after the engine shuts off (the engine does NOT normally "idle" except when cold) that is normal. You are hearing water pump and emission control system pumps running for a few seconds after the gas engine shuts down.

Remember that the gas engine frequently shuts off, even when the Prius is "running" (but stopped at red lights, ect)

My '05 Prius has 85,000

My '05 Prius has 85,000 miles. No problem so far.
    I am hearing longer than normal noises after the engine shuts down, long bleeping sounds that stays on for 5 seconds. Could it be the battery?

Prius has several warning

Prius has several warning beeps built in. Depends on what warning light is also showing on the dash.

Putting the car into reverse.

Pulling your seatbelt off before shutting down the engine.

Opening the door with the key still in the ignition.

Opening the door when the engine has not finished shutting off yet.

Attempting to lock the doors while a door is still open.

Any one of these warning systems might malfunction and "false alarm" during engine shut down.

Anyone have this problem?

Anyone have this problem? We've a 2009 Prius...for the second time in three weeks. I turn it off...get a beeping sound as I exit the car...like something's not off...turn the car on/off again...seems to be OK so I leave....next day when I try to use the car it is dead and will not start.. dash displays all lights with the warning ! but it will now start. Have had to have it jumped and towed to the dealer...they blame it on something left on..duh...but what and how do you turn it off??? Nothing unusual was on when the car was turned off.

...make that it still will

...make that it still will NOT start.....