+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Does anyone get a mild dizziness...

I am an engineer and an Insight owner. I fully embrace the technologies that are found in this wonderfully engineered vehicle. But I do notice one thing that may not be so apppealing. I drive 200+ mile a day in my insight. When I am in the car and even after I leave the car, I feel a mild dizzeness the same kind of sensation one gets from talikng on a cell phone for a long period of time. I was aware of the electrical magnetic field that is generated by the electrical system. But I never thought it could auctally have an effect on me. Does anyone feel the same?

no - not in my honda civic.

maybe it's spinning from such a clean machine?

actually there might be something like a condition response where all your life you drove around in noisy cars and now you're in something pretty quiet. it's messing up your rooted expectations of what a car sounds like?

turn up the stereo!

see ya

steve

There have been exhaustive studies on the effects of radio waves and magnetic lines of flux on the human body.

Yes, radioactive substances are bad for us. And yes, putting your head in a microwave and turning it on will make your head explode.

However, the power level that cell phones operate at are far less than those used by microwaves, and although another round of studies has been ordered into cell phone usage (mostly due to the recent cell phone explosions) no one has yet found any conclusive, "no b.s." proof of harm to humans through the use of these items....yet....

Apparently, magnetic fields are even less of a concern. Although some people claim to have been healed or have felt better through the application of magnets to various parts of the body, or slept in various alignments with the earth's own magnetic field, there has been no conclusive evidence of either benefits or damage done to a human subjected to even very, very great magnetic fields.

That said, the magnetic field generated by the electric portion of a hybrid engine should not be much greater than the one produced by the starter or the alternator of a standard combustion engine.

If you are feeling dizziness/sleepiness after driving your new car, you might check the exhaust system for leaks, or possibly have the door seals checked. Carbon monoxide gases from engine exhaust will cause dizziness/sleepiness, and has no significant odor (although other gases from engine exhaust will have an odor).

you know, a rumour that driving a hybrid will extend your life from exposure to *good* electromagnetic waves would be a cool way to increase drivership!

i happen to also be a potter & noticed that a lot of formal potters live to hit 100 years old!

maybe BOTH hybrid driving & pottery will extend my life?

enough of a reason to keep up BOTH habits...

see ya

I recently drove 700+ miles from Poughkeepsie, NY to Dayton, OH in 12 hours in a 2004 Prius. As another anecdote then, let me report no dizziness at all. And the Prius, being a full hybrid has a much bigger electrical motor (about 65 hp) than the Insight (about 13 hp). I agree with the other respondent that any actual dizziness is probably an exhaust leakage problem.
    I should also add the the plural of anecdotes is NOT data. (Actually the plural of anecdotes is religion.)

I haven't noticed this dizziness in my insight, but I have noticed that on highway driving I seem to be ideally positioned to pick up a lot of diesel truck exaust in cold temperatures. You might want to try putting your vents on recycle, in case it is the carbon monoxide/fumes issue raised above.

I had a first year Insight .I use to drive it at least 400 miles a day.I thought I would try to go for a record and hit 96.1mpg on 1 tank (thats 961+miles on 1 tank) .Honda has me in thier records I guess .B4 that I hit 82.4 mpg on a sigle tank .I was having fun with it and never was dizzy.I like Insights cuz, to me they r very different they "grab" ppl and get 2nd looks.

yes

My wife bought a 2007 Prius, and is planning to sell after putting only 5K miles on it. She complains of a light-headed, dizzy feeling when driving that takes an hour or so to dissapate after she gets out of the car. The feeling comes over her after only 30 minutes of driving. A couple of friends borrowed the car for a day, and told her they felt the same way. Driving with all of the windows open helps, but does not aleviate the problem.

The dealer can't find any problems with it. But she is afraid of driving it, thinks she might pass out. Sounds to me like she has the same problem that you do.

No dizziness mate.. I have

No dizziness mate.. I have an eerie feeling, but I don't think it is dizziness.

New cars also emit lots of

New cars also emit lots of chemicals from materials used, and some people are sensitive to that. Maybe the dizziness comes from that...?