+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Are there hybrid engines for sale?

I am buying a late model car, but want to replace the engine with a hybrid. Is this possible and does anybody know of any company that specializes in this? Thanks
    skinnybonezjonez

That's not as easy as it sounds.

For a hybrid to be a hybrid, you must have that big battery to give the electrical portion of it.

In addition, you probably need to do something with the brakes, as hybrids use regenerative braking to recharge their batteries, so they don't have to be plugged in.

While "engine swapping" is possible and has been done in some cars (like putting a Camry engine on a Corvette frame), I not sure whether that's possible with a hybrid, or if it is, it may be extremely difficult.

I'm looking for the same thing, it can't be that hard to do. Just need tofind some one that sells the parts, if you do find some one e-mail me at ken@armstronginnovations.com

I want a hybrid engine as well. I'm going to put 1 in a used 91 Corvette with a zillion miles on it. Should be interesting to say the least : )

Has anyone sucesfully made the transition from late model to hybrid? I am looking to do the same and could use some guidance.

Seems like the best way to find out how to hybridize an older vehicle would be to visit with Dr. Andy Frank's crew at the University of California, Davis Campus.

hybrid bus

is it possible to get one of those engines large enough and strong enough to power a vehicle like a bus or a UPS truck?

Wierd postings....there's no

Wierd postings....there's no such thing as a hybrid engine. If you want to hybridize an old car, you`ll need to totally gut every aspect of the powertrain system, fuel system and most of the electrical system. Then you`ll need to find an existing hybrid system which includes the engine, gearbox, power controller module, inverters, battery, new fuel system, new powertrain control module, new cooling system, new electrical system and a few other things. Then you`ll have to spend many months working to try and get it running, thats assuming you have some means to get into the manufactureres controller software to make some radical control system alterations and functional changes. The best thing to do would be to find a crashed Prius or Saturn Vue Hybrid and then do a major transplant of the total system into your vehicle. Even then, it`ll take you months to try and get the electrical / control system working.

Hybridizing an old car may not be a good idea. Better to get an old Mercedes Diesel and throw MacDonalds frying oil into it.

I have a 1991 Chevy Lumina

I have a 1991 Chevy Lumina and would love to put a plug-in hybrid engine in my car. I realize this task is just about impossible but if anyone has done anything similar to this ,knows anyone who has , knows of someone who could help me out, or knows someone who owns a company that does something similar to this PLEASE write to me!
    -thanks

As far as I know, the

As far as I know, the Malibu/Aura and Tahoe hybrids from GM house all the additional hybrid components except for the battery pack and possibly the controller in the transmission housing. Since it's basically just a hybrid transmission mated to a standard internal combustion engine, it would probably be just slightly more difficult than a traditional transmission swap. Of course, the difficulty will vary from vehicle to vehicle. Finding the hybrid components to purchase might be the hardest part. The easiest way could be finding a wrecked hybrid donor car to take the parts from.