+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Snow Tires

Snow Tires

First Day of Autumn -- sad to say winter is coming :-(

Looking froward: what snow tires work best for my '08 Honda Civic Hybrid???

To me: the order of importance: 1) good traction. 2) MPG and 3) low noise.

Peace

Hi wjpm: The only winter

Hi wjpm:

The only winter tires I use and recommend for HCH-II and Prius owners is the Michelin X-Ice tires mounted on a regular steel rim set.

Cheers;

MSantos

Thanks .... but am curious:

Thanks .... but am curious: what do you know about the Bridgestone Blizzak WS-60? It rates high at tirerack.com

Why do you recommend the Michelin X-Ice?

Also, where can I get a regular steel rim set? What do you recommend ?

Thanks

Hi wjpm: The feedback that

Hi wjpm:

The feedback that we've gotten from is that the Blizzak's are excellent on snow and Ice... but they seem to wear very fast for some folks.

The Michelin X-Ice have aced many of the tests on ice and snow surfaces while being very quiet and offering excellent fuel economy. They also seem to wear more slowly than most other snow tires. My personal experience is that the Michelin tire technology is consistently superior and therefore able to justify the results I seek, traction and FE being the two most important for my hybrids.
    The price of these vary a bit as they can be slightly more expensive than the competition depending mostly on where you buy them.

The regular Rims can be obtained at a dealer (the standard Civic DX rims are preferred). As long as the steel rims follow the same specs you can also buy them at any other third party shop or vendor.

Cheers;

MSantos

Thanks MSantos... I'm a

Thanks MSantos...

I'm a dummy here, though: why do you recommend the snow tires be put on different rims than the standard ones? What would the benefit be?

Also, do you ever recommend the Fuel System Cleaning places like Jiffy Lube offers?

Thanks

Oh yeh ... I forget to

Oh yeh ... I forget to add...

I keep my tires at 42psi. Would you recommend the same for the snow tires?

Hi wjpm: Why different rims?

Hi wjpm:

Why different rims? Because the winter will destroy the OEM rims with the salt and sand often used on the streets and also because the entire wheel is easier to install or remove when the time comes. Switching the rubber on the same OEM rims will also kill the rims and it becomes expensive after a while to pay every time you need the rubber switched.

I would never take my car to the likes of Jiffy Lube for anything. Sorry.

Always keep your tires at the max rated PSI marked on the tire or 2 PSI or so lower than that value. Some winter tires have the max rating set at 51 PSI, and in that scenario I suggest 48-51 PSI pressures.

Cheers;

MSantos

Michelin-X ice tires are the

Michelin-X ice tires are the best choice for winter tires. They are usually mounted on a steel rim which gives you good traction and low noise.

I have a HCHI and am

I have a HCHI and am thinking about getting winter tires this year. This thread has been about newer models of the hybrid, I'm wondering if the same tires would be good for my model.

Also, I'm just wondering if this makes sense. Basically, I like to ski a lot, and we get a fair amount of snow in the mountains where I live. Sometimes what keeps my car from going up a road is just the sheer amount of snow & nothing is going to fix that but getting a high clearance vehicle. But we had a couple times last winter sliding around a bit.

I do have chains and use them when I really need them. But I'm wondering if winter tires will give me that extra edge (and peace of mind). Probably.

I'm doing a little research

I'm doing a little research and am seeing Cooper Weather-Master S/T 2 available for my car (HCH 1) at discount tires. Anybody have experience with these or know how they compare with others for both performance & MPG?