+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

DIY hybrid conversion

new to forum, sorry if this is a mispost

Ok, as a monumental project,
    I have decided to convert my gas guzzling 1969 firebird into i believe what people call a "mini-hybrid", without totally breaking practicality nor the bank.

so heres the plan,
    slice the ends of my axels, replacing the ends with somewhere around 3-4 hp motors that connect directly to the wheels. (no gearing losses, one for each of my four wheels) these are basically like the starter motors on your car.

this would give me an acceleration assist, as well as a regenerative braking system.

add a much larger alternator, or possibly an actual generator (have experience with these from working on a 1930 model a, in generator days)

need a computer controlled power delivering system. (im not too strong in this field)

throw a whole lot of batteries in it, replacing the back seat, as well as the trunk.

As much critique and technical insight as possible please, this isnt going to be easy.

Thanks,
    Steven Sullivan

Steven,
    You've got an interesting project ahead of you. Personally, I'm more interested in production vehicles, however, there is a whole community involved with DIY conversions of ICE to EV that deal with most of your concerns all the time. Look at http://www.eaaev.org/Info/forums.html for forums of experts on this.
    Good luck and we'll hope to see a writeup on your project in a couple of years.

Check out

Check out www.polarpowerinc.com for H.O. generators, and www.greenmotorsport.com for an AC drive train where you can keep your std. trans.

my idea take an ol school

my idea take an ol school beatle. automatic transaxle might have to substitute the 3 speed with some thing a lil more practical for the high way maybe an aftermarket or a 5 or 6 speed out of a posche if you could find something like that on the cheep.

Replace the body with fiberglass over foam if your any good at fabricating something like that. And generally put the lil frau on a general diet mag wheels that sort of thing if you can find em in the proper size.

Take the pancake four out fix it up sell it scrap it recyle it what ever is most practical. Replace it with a small inline 3 or 4 cyl tractor style diesel maybe 40 hp or so you wouldnt want it much heavier than 200-250 lbs

take the torque converter to a shop that can fabricate a gear to it around the outside

take out the starter replace it with a 72 volt electric vehicle motor or motor gen might have to mod it but should mount up fairly simple

motor controler
    Step down system to run your lights accesories

6 large or 12/ in parrellel smaller deepcycle "Quality" Batteries such as optimas you can mount them nearly anywhere in nearly any position that they will fit.

Anyway the multiple motors w a charging while breaking sounds complicated and might cost you a perfectly good ride those motors would have to be synced up not only with ea other but your gas engine if theyre not youll burn through your tires allot quicker long story short keep it as simple as possible and do as much reasearch as possible.

theres a guy on youtue made a cycle from a donor bike verry simple set up pure electric gets 10 mile range charges in less than 3 hrs he did his whole progect on like a 3 grand budget

Steve, look at the EMIS

Steve, look at the EMIS system from NetGain that is used to convert vehicles to hybrids at http://www.go-ev.com

We can adapt to these high

We can adapt to these high gas prices by building hybrid adapters for our single fuel source cars -- go here for many ideas and links: http://peswiki.com/index.php/PowerPedia:Hybrid_Adapter

One thing you definitely

One thing you definitely should do. Make your car a plug-in hybrid.

1. So you need an alternator to charge your batteries. You could also tinker with your cars existing alternator for charging your batteries.
    2. Because you are thinking of an electric assist hybrid, you will need to buy a whole lot of capacitors
    3. I'm not a fan of regenerative braking (cost benefit analysis). But if you need to do it, you would have to find the circuit for your car's brake lights. And wire your battery charging circuit so that when the brake light circuit gets closed, your charging circuit is also closed.
    4. Instead of messing with your axles, you could try assisting your engine with your starter motor. It will be a lot safer and cheaper. The circuit for this will close when your brake lights circuit is open.

I done alot of research on

I done alot of research on the all new honda accord hybrids. I wrote a review on it. I think that you will find it interesting.
    http://www.ehow.com/how_2352834_hond...rth-money.html

We have perfected a Mini

We have perfected a Mini Computer that links to the Vehicles OnBoard Computer and tells it Not to Default when the engine is running too Efficiant for a long time !

Our HAFC Kit burns the fuel more efficiantly , Has a greater flame spread , Covalizes the fuel( Gas & Diesel Versions) , Ionizes the fuel. And works on Any Gas or DIesel Engine, Any Fuel used. Giving More Power, Longer Engine Life , Way Less Pollution ! $1,200 US for HAFC Kit 50% to over 300% MPG increase. More Power, Lower Pollution levels

And the PICC will be avalable by July or August ! No Pollution at all ! Double or Triple Engine Life and 400% to 700% Increase in Fuel Mileage <><

Global Patents in place . EPA registered Diesel Covalizer . C.A.R.B. Approval in the works . This is the Real Mc Coy !

Dennis B. Drake President Better and Better Technologies Global Sales of Clean Green Technologies for a Better World <><

www.picctv.com/better www.hafctechnology.com

The choice is yours . I only offer the Best of Green Technologies

Dennis B. Drake Dealer # 001100260U Better and Better Technologies 1444 Living Desert Dr. # 75 Las Vegas NV. 89119 1-702-944-0376

www.hafctechnologies.com www.Rockin69.com Saving the Planet <><

PS: If we are not supported by the Americam Public then this is your Future www.policestateplanning.com

Hydrogen-on-demand does not need costly infrastructure and

makes cars safer.Hydrogen-on-demand would not only remove the need for costly

hydrogen pipelines and distribution infrastructure, it would also make

hydrogen vehicles safer. "The theoretical advantage of on-board

generation is that you don't have to muck about with hydrogen

storage," says Mike Millikin, who monitors developments in alternative

fuels for the Green Car Congress website. A car that doesn't need to

carry tanks of flammable, volatile liquid or compressed gas would be

much less vulnerable in an accident. "It also potentially offsets the

requirements for building up a massive hydrogen production and

distribution infrastructure,"

Dennis B. Drake President Better and Better Technologies
    1444 Living Desert Dr # 75 Las Vegas NV 89119
    702-944-0376 DennisDrake@cox.net www.Rockin69.com
    Making a Better World for Every One <><

Here's a thought for a

Here's a thought for a quick, cheap and easy way to do it. Splice and mate a motor into the rear drive shaft. Have a mechanical linkage from the accelerator to the motor control. Make it a plug in. For the first 40+ miles or so you will have electric motor assist and that would take some of the load off the engine.

You could probably adjust the linkage to give you more or less electric assist. You would have a choice of batteries and configurations. I would start with deep cycle lead acid and maybe upgrade

My guess is you would get about a 30 - 50 percent increase in MPG

Here is a list of high power DC motors
    http://www.surplusrecord.com/sre/034188.htm