+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid for short trips?

I'm thinking of getting a hybrid but I wasn't sure if my short trips to work (5 miles each way) would help or hinder the hybrid in terms of MPG. Considering my yearly mileage is probably less than 8,000 would a hybrid still be cost effective? Thanks in advance.

Hybrid for short trips?

If your daily trip starts with an uphill then it's not worthwile. A lot of the fuel you will use will be on this uphill with a cold and therefore inefficient engine. The hybrid won't be able to tackle this on electric power alone.
    If your daily trip starts with a downhill then the outlook is more promising. The hybrid could likely tackle this mainly on battery power. The conbustion engine will warm up and be more efficient for when it is needed.

Hybrid for short trips?

I look at total mileage for payback. My Prius will payback at about 65000 miles at $3.00/gallon. Not counting the tax credit--which would make the payback almost immediate. Depending on how long you own your cars, that may be worthwhile.

Also, don't forget the other paybacks that are more difficult to calculate but are still real. They are: reduced pollution, reduced global warming gases, reduced pressure for our elected leaders to push wars for oil, reduced health care costs, increased national security, etc. It is difficult for an individual to see these effects, but states, and the country as a whole do. Which is why they give tax breaks.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob View Post
    I'm thinking of getting a hybrid but I wasn't sure if my short trips to work (5 miles each way) would help or hinder the hybrid in terms of MPG. Considering my yearly mileage is probably less than 8,000 would a hybrid still be cost effective? Thanks in advance.
    I have the same question, but my cost question is the engine itself - since it never gets warm, is the engine and exhaust system of a hybrid going to experience the same accelerated wear that a gasoline car does? Would I do better to look at pure battery or LPG or CNG solutions?

-Galen

Hybrid for short trips?

I have a 2003 Prius - absolutely love it at 120,000+ miles. As you can see by the miles, I drive a lot. I average 47 mpg combined highway/city (still). I will tell you that if your commute is only 5 miles (and you live anywhere were it gets cold), the Prius is not for you. The first 5 minutes of my commute, I average 25 mpg. The second 5 minutes, I average about 35 mpg and after that, I get the good gas mileage. Until the engine is warmed up and the batteries fully charged, the gas mileage is not spectacular.

That being said, once it is warmed up, it is fantastic and I easily paid the extra cost for the car (as well as doing my part for the environment). I know it would be better if I did not drive so many miles, but since I do, I am doing it the most efficient way. Better than getting 18 mpg with an SUV!

You're still going to get better performance from a hybrid than you would with a pure Internal Combustion Engine (ICE). The regular ICE will also get worse MPG when warming up than the hybrid. Just don't expect to see the EPA mpg with either. Only a pure Electric will perform outstandingly for short trips. If you will stay below 45 mph, you might want to look at the ZAP zebra. If below 25 mph, there are a lot of glorified golf carts (euphimistically called "Neighborhood Electric Vehicles" or NEV's that will suit your needs. If you are adventurous and don't need to exceed 62 mph, the Vectrix electric scooter. Otherwise, you'll have to wait until someone actually makes a real, pure EV or plug-in Hybrid.

Hybrids will be really a

Hybrids will be really a nice thing for you , especially when moving for short distance.You can indeed save some money through them.

We had a 04 Prius which got

We had a 04 Prius which got great gas mileage on longer trips of at least 15 miles -- over 60mpg, but when we moved and our trips were all short trips, the gas mileage dropped to 20 or so? Watching the fuel data screen on the prius, you could see that the first 5 minutes of every trip was on gas (no uphill). If the trip was only a mile each way, then gas mileage was the same as with a non hybrid non fuel efficient car. We sold the car. Now a car salesman is telling us that this is no longer true, that when the cars start up, they are already running on electric power, not gas and short trips do not influence the gas mileage. I am wondering if this is true or just sales speak and will have to research further.