+ Reply to Thread

Instrument cluster and Speedometer

I have a 2004 and a 2005 Prius that are Taxis. They both intermittently lose their Speedometer and all dummy lights. The cars still run fine, but the taxi meters lose signals from speedometer and only run on time. Also, the trunk does not open. Sometimes I can't even turn the cars off. I've spent over $1500 at Toyota dealerships and still have no fix. They assured me that the taxi meters installation was correct and said they have never had that problem ever before even after calling head office. Does anyone know what this problem is and how to solve it? Or has this happenned to anyone else?

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

Just replaced combination

Just replaced combination meter. Problem fixed. Thanks to "J" at a certain delearship. And Toyota Canada doesn't know of the problem? But, he knew right away. Why is Toyota not sharing vital information? So people can spend thousands of dollars searching for answers.

Mine went out at 130K

Mine went out at 130K

depends if it a centrodyne

depends if it a centrodyne or a pulsar meter. centrodyne is a one to one connection with the speed sensor wiring located behind the glove box. The most comon problem i have seen with toyotas and centrodyne meters is this: If the meter was transferrd from a vehicle with an anolog signal(ford crwon vic, dodge caravan ect.) then the meter will operate in a toyota but many problems have arrisen. Toyota uses a digital speed sensor signal, there are a few small changes that have to made inside the meter. you can get an anolog to digital changeover manual from centodyne. like i said, the meter will operate put fuck things up if you dont. Pulsar is a little different, aside from being a piece of shit. pulsar sucks and most problems come from inside of the meter. remeber toyota is a digital speed sensor signal, and all you are doing is splicing the electronics right into the speed sensor return wire. any internal shorts(and pulsar always have them) will distort or or somtimes cut off the signal all together so that explains the speedometer problems. The trunk is ussally caused from the idiot installer not hooking up the power to the switch after part of the dash was removed. try replacing the meter if its a pulsar, and make sure the connection to the speed sensor wiring was soldered, not crimped. By the way, i set up all of the cabs in boston in case you wanna know how i got this info

rob castello - You may have

rob castello - You may have suficient knowledge of related matter and right person to ask for help...
    Would you be able to specify collor and location for wire that need to connect to centrodyne taximeter? For Toyota Prius 2008 it seams that it is not beside gloves box...

Hey Rob, I've just purchased

Hey Rob,
    I've just purchased a 2008 Prius and I've had a Hale Mirror Meter (SPT-01) installed. It was previously in my Merc taxi. The supposedly 'qualified' installer has no idea where to connect the pulse wire so I'm off the road here in Dublin until he can sort out the problem. Any ideas of where to get a wiring diagram or some useful info that will help? I would go to another installer if that was an option but unfortunately these guys are the only suppliers of 'hale' meters.

Any help would be great,

Thanks.

Bob.