+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Hybrids: really better for environment?

My teacher is pressuring me to discuss the negative effects of hybrid vehicles to the environment... possibly long term negative effects down the line... perhaps along the line of battery waste disposals and landfill contributions? Please... I need help... also if it wouldn't be so much mabe u could put the source of where u got this information too.
    Thanks.

Here are a couple of points to consider:
    - hybrid vehicles give owners/drivers the feeling of doing good, however this may lead them to drive even more than they normally would
    - single-occupant hybrids still contribute to traffic congestion
    - hybrid vehicles still consume petroleum products (albeit less than conventional petroleum vehicles)
    - nobody really knows what's going to happen to the batteries once it comes time to replace them
    - vehicles such as the Accord Hybrid have been created more to offer increased power, rather than conserve fuel. It's only a matter of time before vehicles are produced as hybrids ONLY to improve horsepower

As for a source of this information, you can cite "personal communication with Fleet Manager at Environment Canada"

A couple more just came to mind:

- hybrid systems add weight to a vehicle and batteries can take up cargo space. This reduces its operational effectiveness for some people (can't carry as much cargo; can't tow trailers etc)
    - maintenance may be more expensive. You won't likely be able to take a hybrid vehicle to "Bob's Garage" because he won't have the necessary technology and experience to deal with the advanced systems. You'll be stuck going to the dealership which usually translates to big bucks.

Again...This is just from my own brain. Fleet guy at Environment Canada

One of the most well known

One of the most well known effects of hybrid cars are the toxic materials which doesn't decomposes when the battery expires. The other environmental damages are less known.

huh? NiMH batteries are not

huh?
    NiMH batteries are not toxic (nor are lithium). The whole car can be recycled as well, including the batteries. The most toxic thing in the car is the tiny lead-acid starter battery which is borrowed from ICE vehicles.

DO YOUR OWN HOMEWORK

DO YOUR OWN HOMEWORK

sucks fur u i got this info

sucks fur u
    i got this info from my brain

I think that was a very rude

I think that was a very rude comment if you don't have anything nice to say please don't say it.

ORLY? AND HOOOOOOOOOOW OLD

ORLY? AND HOOOOOOOOOOW OLD IS THIS PAGE NOW?
    gurl, if you need info go search it up on google -.-
    MANZ this is a pain

What about all the extra

What about all the extra resources that go into mining, and creation of all those extra battery packs? Think of all those extra mines around the globe that are now being put into production for this new "cleaner" technology. Sure, the technology is cleaner, but how it's produced isn't and that has to be factored in.