+ Reply to Thread

Driving without IMA HCH 2003

I have a HCH 2003. The IMA light came on last week--took it to the dealership today. Result: Need new battery. The guy at the dealership said if I don't replace the battery my car will still drive just fine. The only difference will be in gas mileage. The IMA came out from under warranty last year. I have 65,000 miles on the car. Not wanting to fork over $3500 for repair--can I believe the guy?

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

Yes. The car will run fine

Yes. The car will run fine with the IMA light on. Just ignore it, if you can. Most likely, the cells inside are unbalanced, so the PCM sees cells heating up at a different rate, so it limits its usage. The car will run totally fine. With the low milage you have, it does seem the car has been sitting, and Panasonic's battery modules for the 03-05 civic hybrid are known for the rapid uneven self discharge rate of the NiMH battery cells in the Traction battery (the one for the IMA motor).

I have a 2003 Civic Hybrid

I have a 2003 Civic Hybrid with 130,000 miles on it and my IMA light has been on for over a year, so far no issues. I finally took the car in and was told that the battery needed to be replaced at a cost of $3,000. I balked at that and told the service manager that when I bought the car I asked the salesman how much a replacement battery would cost and he told be about $700 - $1000 and the price should go down as time passes. Needless to say $3000 is a lot more than $1000 and I told the service manager that I felt that I had been misled.

He was very polite but said that there was nothing he could do. About 5 mins later he called me back and told me that he talked to Honda and they agreed to replace the battery with no cost to me, after 9 years and 130,000 miles. Needless to say, I was quite happy. Perhaps if you push a bit you might get Honda to kick something (if not all) in.

Hybrid power trains use

Hybrid power trains use diesel-electric or turbo-electric to power railway locomotives, buses, heavy goods vehicles, mobile hydraulic machinery, and ships. Typically some form of heat engine drives an electric generator or hydraulic pump which powers one or more electric or hydraulic motors.
    Rochester Attorney