+ Reply to Thread

Civic Hybrid 144V Battery Rebuild/racing

Ok. Got an extra IMA traction battery, and I have been doing a LOT of research on it and opened it up. I found a place that tests the battery sticks (20 of them) and each stick has 6 1.2V sub-d NiMH batteries. These sub-d come as 6500mAh from Panasonic (OEM traction battery manufacturer). This place can rebuild the sticks for me OEM but I don't want that. I want to purchase better sub-c batteries. There are ones with 8000 mAh and 9000 mAh. I understand that I can't do one battery, or one stick, for the traction battery as a module would be "unbalanced" and set a code of some kind (probably 14xy, you know, battery related). So if I rebuild all the sticks (20) with higher capacity NiMH sub d 1.2V batteries (6 in each stick), would the ECM or MCM notice the difference in the mAh? They are the same volts, (approx 144V), the same class (sub d) but they discharge slower and stronger. That shouldn't affect any engine or IMA computers, right?

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

Hello, I think your plan

Hello,
    I think your plan make sense, as all the cells are in serial, all must be the same, and tested one by one before assembly. some may have to be rejected and replaced.
    There is no obvious reasont that the ECU will find a problem, this will last longer and need longer to charge, no more instantaneous power, but longer assist, then better mpg.
    check this site : http://www.hybrid-battery-repair.com/hch/new.html

right. he uses higher mAh

right. he uses higher mAh batteries, and seems to have no problem. thanks. i've seen that sight, but I somehow didn't catch that!

My 2004 honda civic battery

My 2004 honda civic battery pack is dying. (This what the dealer told yesterday when I took it in for it's 120000 mile check up) They want $2800 for a new pack. after reading a bunch of different forums it can be done for less. So the options I figure I have:
    1. Have a third party do the replacement.
    Pro Cheaper
    Con I either have to take the car a minimum of 100 miles or have the car down for 4 to 6 weeks while I take the pack out and have it sent to someone do it for me.
    2. Do it myself. (I'm fairly mechanically inclined. I do most of my own car repairs and am an electrician by trade.
    Pro Much cheaper and a great learning experience.
    Con I can't find an old pack to start working on. I'd like to get the old to replace and/or rebuild the bad cells.

I would like to know if anyone out there knows where I might be able to get an old pack.
    Also if anyone knows of a place the I can get a rebuilt pack sooner then 4-6 weeks and for lees than $2000.

Please e-mail me with any information you might think will help.
    cafe601@yahoo.com

Do you know where I can get

Do you know where I can get an old 2004 honda civic hybrid battery pack? I want to get an old one so I can start rebuilding the cell so I can keep the car down time to a minimum.
    Where can I buy the panasonic NiMH sub d 1.2V 6500mah batteries?
    Do you know a reputable battery pack rebuilder?
    Thank you for your time and help.
    Chas

There is power lost in the

There is power lost in the double conversion from typically diesel fuel to electricity to power an electric or hydraulic motor. With large vehicles the advantages often outweigh the disadvantages especially as the conversion losses typically decrease with size. With the exception of non-nuclear submarines, presently there is no or relatively little secondary energy storage capacity on most heavy vehicles..brain injury attorney