+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Sunroof on a hybrid

Just a question: I'm wondering why all the current hybrids on the market do not have a sunroof as an option? I would think that it would be standard on a hybrid, as it would be a more "green" option than using the a/c.

I'm considering buying a hybrid, however the sunroof issue is one of the things that's holding me back. I'm just curious about what everyone else thinks...

Any good reasons why a sunroof wouldn't be a good option on a hybrid car?

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

Sunroof on a hybrid

The 2006 Ford Escape Hybrid will offer a sunroof as an option.

Sunroof on a hybrid

sunroof adds unnecessary weight, dragging down mpg by a very small amount. with it open, air resistance will increase also.

2nd gen prius has electric a/c so this is not a problem. other hybrids like civic hybrid can have an aftermarket sunroof installed

Sunroof on a hybrid

On the upcoming Toyota Highlander Hybrid, the Limited edition comes standard with a sunroof. To get a sunroof on the base model, you have to get the option package.

Sunroof on a hybrid

With the crazy gas prices, it's likely hybrid cars are going to be more in demand. However, the lack of a sunroof is one of the only things preventing me from getting one when it's time for me to replace my car. After-market sunroofs often become leaky and I don't want to risk having that done. I would hope that the hybrid cars would soon have sunroofs and not just the trucks/SUVs.

Sunroof on a hybrid

Rather than a sunroof -- how about a solar roof? You could fit about an 80w solar panel in the area used by a sunroof. Charging the batteries passively while your car is parked in the sun would greatly improve gas mileage on a hybrid. Even a 20 watt panel over the course of a work day would provide significant charging power.

Sunroof on a hybrid

To be really Green Smart, make the sunroof a solar panel to charge your Hybrid Ni-MH Battery when it is not used for extended periods of time.

Sunroof on a hybrid

I'll second the "no-sunroof-is-the-only-thing-that-keeps-me-from-buying-one" motion. I just got my first look at the new Civic hybrid online - finally, a nice, normal-looking sporty hybrid car. It actually looks like a fun car to drive, but again, Honda f***s it up by not making a sunroof an option. I don't want to have to buy an SUV or a $30,000 Accord to have hybrid power *and* a sunroof!

*sighs*

I guess I'll just stick with my gasoline-powered sunroof-equipped sedan for now...

Sunroof on a hybrid

My Highlander has a sunroof. I drive in the mornings with it open. Yes, it ads some drag, but the a/c not sucking on my battery actually keeps the mpg level.

Sunroof on a hybrid

so sad that sunroofs aren't part of the standard pkgs. a sliding solar panel couldn't make more green sense! what the heck? I love the Prius so much and have a deposit down on one, but I so REALLY love the double sunroofs in my Subaru Legacy that I am forcing myself to wait to buy the Prius until a sun roof or better, sliding solar panel comes avail!