+ Reply to Thread

New Hybrid cars,a 3yr waiting list, Why?

Aloha, I am a student at UHM and my Economic professor posed a question: Why does New Hybrid cars have a 3 year waiting list?

Please help me understand.

Much Mahalos,
    Sophia

There are many answers to that question...

1. They don't. There are plenty available on dealer lots.... though this may be different for you in HI. This could lead to a different answer...

2. Your on an island and subject to different supply chains/availability.

3. $3.00+/gallon gasoline.

4. Manufacturers can't make enough to supply the accelerating demand (largely due to battery manufacturers not being able to supply the parts).

5. Caution on the side of manufacturers not to over-invest in production of vehicles that still face a somewhat uncertain future (sales-wise).

6. Shady sales tactics by dealers - hype the vehicle, say there's a 3-year waiting list, then call you with some story about an extra hybrid in their last shipment that's yours today if you want it.... hoping you'll jump at the offer.

7. . . .

And when (if) you do get your hands on one, it'll cost about $27,000 or more! (I think the MSRP is around $21,000). SO there's also gouging involved. When the Prius first came out, the waiting list was about one year. WIth gas prices what they are, and rising demand for gasoline and hybrid cars, the three-year waitlist makes sense.

Your professor probably doesn't know much about hybrid cars. There are many different models of hybrids that you can drive off the lot today in Honolulu. If your professor says it's not true tell him/her if you find several new models that readily available for purchase that they buy one for you then. However i'm assuming he/she is just asking a supply/demand real world question. Also assuming he/she is talking about HYBRID is referring to the poster child hybrid car "Toyota Prius" which is in very high demand. Which at a stretch could take 3 years but highly unlikely who would put a deposit down on car for 3 years on something they can't drive. However for reasons already listed in previous posts would suffice for your question.
    Aloha,
    Wayne

There are so many new models

There are so many new models on the market today that can help you save money, that you do not need a hybrid car... People just have the wrong idea that a specific brand is what they need... That is not true... I will give you one simple example: have you heard about the Dacia Duster 4x4... that is a very cheap 4x4 car... and it is has similar performance as any other specific brand car... Anyways, in the end I would like to say that if you know people who are willing to make auto donations, I would appreciate it very much if you pass the message...

Cool! I love your site. Very

Cool! I love your site. Very well done. Thanks for organizing everything to where I can find it easier. Keep up the good work! I love it! Regards Robert Michael Sofa

Cool! I love your site. Very

Cool! I love your site. Very well done. Thanks for organizing everything to where I can find it easier. Keep up the good work! I love it! Regards Robert Michael Sofa