+ Reply to Thread

2006 HCH Problem...Scary! Anyone Else?

I recently purchased a 2006 Honda Civic Hybrid and love it.

However, twice now I started my car...began to drive...and found the power steering loses power or becomes disengaged. All of a sudden VERy difficult if not impossible to steer.

I stop...restart the car and all is well.

Obviously a "scary" issue especially if I'm on a freeway or in heavy traffic.

Anyone have a similar problem occur or have any suggestions?

thanks...new to the forum but happy to be here!

regards all,

Chris (maricopaa)

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

Welcome to the forum, Chris.

Since it is a 2006 the vehicle is still under a full warranty. The behavior you are reporting appears very odd and I would suggest you take it in to the dealership as soon as possible.

Despite the incidence of power steering failures on the HCH being extremely low, the reality is that electric power steerings do seem to have a higher failure rate than the traditional hydraulic types.

Cheers;

MSantos

Well I took my 2006 HCH into my Honda Dealer and expressed my concern about the power steering issue. They called me back the next day to tell my my "power steering unit" was, infact, defective and that it would be replaced. They have had my car for going on three days now as they are waiting on the new part to arrive from some distant land ;-))

My advisor (Paul) said that when he inquire with Honda Central about the problem they were familiar with the issue...said it had happened before and that he should immediately replace my entire power steering unit.

Should have her back tomorrow. Apparently there are a number of defective power steering units that have been replaced in 2006 HCH's.

Hmmmmm?

Quote Originally Posted by MARICOPAA View Post
    Should have her back tomorrow. Apparently there are a number of defective power steering units that have been replaced in 2006 HCH's.

Hmmmmm?

Yes, it is true.

But this issue is definitely not limited to 2006 models. Some 2007 HCH's have had the power steering unit replaced as well. The reported numbers are still too low to be a real concern to most folks owning 2006 and 2007 models, but it does not hurt to be aware of it.

Cheers;

MSantos

I too have a 2006 Honda

I too have a 2006 Honda Civic Hybrid with the same power steering problem. The dealership had it for four days about two weeks ago and replaced some extensive control module in the dash and then the problem creeped up again. It is now in the shop and having the power steering module replaced.
    In addition to the power steering failure (thankfully mine was only upon start up and turning it off and on, sometimes 2 or 3 times, reset it) I was also getting the emissions indicator light coming on prior to the dash module replacement.

I recently purchased a 2007

I recently purchased a 2007 HCH and my EPS has failed twice, but I was able to reset the system by restarting. The dealership will not fix the problem because they can't recreate the problem when it's at the dealership. My question is this: the next time the EPS light comes on and I drive the car to the dealership, will I being doing any damage to the steering mechanism while driving in the manual mode? The service advisor was not able to answer this question. Thank you for your help with this matter.

Ed