+ Reply to Thread

Interstate 'sweet spot' for mpg

new to this forum. driving a 2007 HCH for about 6 months.

changed oil & filter, freshened tranny fluid and replaced air filter. also, pumped up tires to max. recommended pressure.

going on the road for the first time, about 850 miles, 1-way, from so. indiana to dallas/ft. worth, texas area: essentially flatland driving with summer temps.

question: does anyone have references or experiences to share about interstate driving, esp. what speed yields optimum balance between time and mpg?

thanks for your considerations,
    ~~~^^^larry^^^~~~

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

Larry, You might check out

Larry,
    You might check out my website (www.philsautoonline.com) and click on the page for hybrid fuel economy issues. I own the first generation Civic and yours is the second generation (my terminology, not Honda's). I have a new battery pack which I built that picked my MPG up about 5mpg, but that aside, 65mph works really well on the CVT for fuel economy on the flat. I realize that is boring, but since you have a pretty good drive, what not try a couple hundred miles at the 65mph speed, then reset your fuel economy minder and kick it up to a faster speed. Compare the readings and see if the time saved is worth the extra fuel. I have found the MPG indicator to be a bit optimistic, about 3mpg over what you actually get, but it is good for comparison purposes at any rate, even if not completely accurate.

www.monster-shopping.com

www.monster-shopping.com Beats by dre are uncomfortable or can't deliver high-performance sound, prepare to to be amazed Monster BeatsEarphones. Unlike most other “earbuds,” with their one-size-fits-most approach, your Turbine Pro Coppers include a full set of four different sound-isolating performance eartips in numerous shapes and sizes to accommodate any ear. The result? A perfect fit and a perfect seal. This device is set for a very possible late September or early October release and will be amongst the first to work with Monster Headphones integration. We’ve still to find out exactly what that means-unless, of course, you count the release of the HTC Sensation XE, an upgraded version of the already released device, this new version given the Monster Beatshands-on treatment by Chris Davies just a few days ago. Take a peek at this paragraph about the Beats integration, then head down to the Runnymede video and see how you like it: Listen to your music-not outside noise-with the most comfortable in-ear headphone on the.

Monster was founded www.monsterssite.net by Head Monster Noel Lee with a commitment to creating products under the Monster Cable Monster Beats by drebrand to literally "make music sound better." Today, Monster has grown and diversified to become the world's leading manufacturer of connectivity solutions for high-performance audio, video, car Monster Beatsaudio, computer, console and computer gaming, as well as a leading innovator in the field of iPod and iPhone accessories and professional audio and Monster By dr dresound reinforcement. As part of its commitment to improving the Monster Beats Headphonesmusic listening experience, Monster worked with Dr. Dre and Interscope Geffen A&M Chairman Jimmy Iovine to Monster Beatscreate the Beats by Dr. Dre? headphone line, including the new Heartbeats by Lady Gaga headphones.

With my 2006 HCH I typically

With my 2006 HCH
    I typically get above 40 mpg at 65 mph.
    I see a mpg increase of 5 to 10 mpg when I stay around 55 mph
    And at 45 mph I get between 55 and 60 mpg (when the weather is warm and the road is flat)..
    MPG is a fickle beast and changes with both temperature and your (the drivers) driving style.
    I bought my HCH to see how many mpg I could get with it and after 6 years of driving it I'm still learning new tricks for getting more.
    ie:
    1: optimal rpm
    2: how to use cruise control ( when to set it and when to shut it off)
    3: how to get up hills, how to get down hills, mountains, etc.
    4: how to navigate the nascar style rush hours
    Don't get me wrong, I love averaging 40 to 50 mpg, but I don't understand why I can't buy a production gas powered car that gets100 mpg, and have been able to buy it 5 years ago..

I found a route where I

I found a route where I could drive mostly 35 mph for 50 miles or so last week. I just topped of the tank and reset the trip A meter. When I started my test run at 8:30 pm it was 84 F degrees. It was 75F or 76F when I finished the test run.
    I was trying to break 70mpg for the run. My trip showed 73mpg or so twice during the test run. Also there were parts of the route where the
    Speed Limit was 45 mph and 55 mph.
    The noticeable part of the route for me was as the temperature dropped below 80 F degrees after sunset, the mpg dropped below 70 mpg and at the end of the 50 mile test run, where I crept along at around 35 mph for most of the test route my trip meter was showing 67 mpg.