+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Oil Change Question for 2007 Civic Hybrid

I am seriously considering purchasing a 2007 civic hybrid. I would like to do my own oil changes. It this easy to do with ramps? Can I get to the filter easily? I understand that a sensor tells you when to change oil. How often does it recommend a change? I was planning on using a high quality fully synthetic oil such as Redline. Does this car have any unusual oil spec. requirements? Fully synthetics are suppose to up your mileage up to about 10% as I understand it. Check out Redline's website. http://www.redlineoil.com/default.asp
    Thank you all.

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by dnamrnatrna View Post
    I am seriously considering purchasing a 2007 civic hybrid. I would like to do my own oil changes. It this easy to do with ramps? Can I get to the filter easily? I understand that a sensor tells you when to change oil. How often does it recommend a change? I was planning on using a high quality fully synthetic oil such as Redline. Does this car have any unusual oil spec. requirements? Fully synthetics are suppose to up your mileage up to about 10% as I understand it. Check out Redline's website. http://www.redlineoil.com/default.asp
    Thank you all.
    I would humbly recommend against performing your own oil changes for several reasons:
    • The appropriate oil is 0W20 which can only be found on the market as a synthetic oil. Depending on the dealership you may find their 0W20 to be very price competitive.
    • You need to remove the underbody aero shields and the retaining clips may break. If the dealership breaks them then they replace it. If you break them then a bag of clips can cost you.
    • When the maintenance minder recommends an oil change its typically includes other maintenance items that you are not likely qualified to perform.
    • If you dont take your vehicle into the dealership often enough (and the oil change periods are already long enough for the HCH-II) you may not be able to spot issues that may be covered by the warranty, thus losing out on the benefits of professional oversight. This may include the resolution of smaller recall items you'll never know about.
    • Everytime you visit a good dealership for an oil change you add to the service history which may help the resale of the vehicle later on. As long time Honda owner I have always gotten top dollar for my trade-ins because I had a verifiable history of professional maintenance. In other words, in the long run, I LOSE money by doing it myself or having it done at the quick lube places.

Despite all the reasons above plus a few others I may be forgetting, some folks do prefer to make their own oil changes anyway. If you choose to do so then you should have no problem finding the parts/products at most quality auto stores. Some folks however, have trouble finding a good 0W20 oil.

The maintenance minder feature of the car is the determinant of when to make the oil change plus any other servicing that accompanies it. It is common for a lot of HCH-2 owners to get an oil change every 9,000 to 12,000 miles (depends on driving style and otehr operating conditions).

Good luck.

MSantos

Quote Originally Posted by dnamrnatrna View Post
    Thank you all.
    Yes you can do it yourself just like any normal car. This other reply sounds like something a Dealer would tell you.....

Just did it

Agree with Dr diesel, that previous guy sounded like a dealer.
    Just did it myself for around 30 USD, which included 5qts of fully sinthetic oil (1.5qts left) and the most expensive fram filter. Did not brake any retaining bolts (and probably you could buy several dozen of them for the difference) as well there is a great chance, that dealer will not replace a broken one if you will not notice and point it to them on the spot. Other thing is what usually happens at dealerships, is when fixing one thing, they screw up someting else to keep the business going. So do it yourself and do not hesitate, these plastic underneath covers are not that scary, just remove few bolts and then just like in regular car.
    Good luck

Was just in a local auto parts store: they have Pennzoil Platinum 0W-20 for $8.99CAN per liter. Quantity being 3.2 litres, you'll need 4 litres at least the first time round. Looking at the bill from my dealer for the first oil change I got through them (have had one more since, coupled with the brake inspection), I see buying Honda's 0W-20 oil at the parts counter, it would cost 8.85. However, getting the service done through them reduced the price to $6.81 per. The Honda filter at the parts counter is $10.23. Again, going the service route reduces the price, to 8.18. Bottom line, the total was $41.86, and with Canadian GST it worked out to $47.30.

No matter where I bought my oil and filter, I coudn't beat that.

I've changed my oil myself for years, with a variety of Hondas, but with our 2006 Civic Hybrid, I've elected to just bring it in. Several reasons:

1. Price of parts, particularly the stratospheric 0W-20: you don't even break even, buying retail.

2. Warranty: I'll probably play by the rules the first few years. I know, it irks, you don't have to, but... And the oil change interval working out to around 6 months for us, it's no big deal.

3. That panel: it's one thing to flipped down the front half of that thing on a proper hoist, but it looks to be more of a pain when you're just up on safety stands. FWIW, the dealer did replace one of the clips gratus. I had to chase them a little, cause far as I can tell it was missing from day one. But when they did the oil change, the missing one moved from one of the central locations, to an outer corner. They gave me a couple, so I have one spare now, no quible. It just took quite a while.

I just did mine yesterday.
    Mobil 1 0w20 synthetic $7.35 per quart. x 4 = $29.40 plus 7.25% tax of $2.13 and a Bosch Filtech oil filter for $5.39 + $.39 sales tax. My own time (I only used 3.5 quarts). for a total of $37.31
    The MPG gained from an indicated 56 to 58.3
    The previous best of 67.3 to the new 60.1 That`s 2.3 MPG increase over the Honda non-synthetic....
    I`ll post my overall @ the next fill-up
    My last tank overall was hand calculated @ 64.1. I`m looking to squeeze 65 MPG on a regular basis.

Gasman and Dr. Diesel;

I appreciate and commend those who feel empowered and confident to make their own oil changes on these vehicles. You are certainly free to do so at your discretion and benefit.

I would also kindly remind you that your recommendations while well meaning, may misrepresent the alternative view which continues to hold value for many other hybrid owners (other than yourselves). It is obvious that not everyone shares your views and experiences and it is only fair that a certain amount of wisdom and justifications be provided when offering a recommendation like I did. For many folks, up-front savings are nice but the long term benefits are at least as important if not more.

I am not a dealer and I personally frown upon bad dealers. While these bad dealers exist, I believe having access to a good service department will only add to the resale value of our vehicles. Besides, for many of us, it is cheaper to have someone qualified doing the regular maintenance and warranty fulfilment inspections than it is for us to take the time to do it ourselves and overlook a maintenance item that could be resolved under warranty.

Take care;

MSantos

You sound like a dealer...
    And service record for warranty claims ?????
    I have my oil and filter purchase receipts. I log everything in the vehicle log/mileage book and don`t need to be a guinea pig for the dealers poor tech work habits because there under paid, flat rate, hacks, under skilled, under qualified because the dealer is owned by corporate thieves . Yeah, I`ll take my car to the dealer and let them butcher it until I find a dealer that has a good service department. NOT..
    If any warranty claim was ever needed, the motors cleanliness speaks for it`s self as long as you service when needed.
    I have had no engine problems with my vehicles ever...They are serviced every 3K to 5K depending on vehicle and engine type. When you open a well maintained engine you`ll know it. Everything will be clean and sludge free.
    If something fails, know one will need to question the service history because it shows.
    You must be a corporate story/spinner, Internet story/myth starter.
    Dealer records for resale....Now I have heard it all. Have you ever traded a vehicle into a dealer... They care less about anything, other than making as much money from the deal/you as they can. They give less than book and if you get more than book, it`s in your new car price somewhere. Don`t be so vain about the brand of corn flakes your trying to sell.
    I have read other post from you. You do have great inside info. I do appreciate your time and opinion, but when it comes to service work and dealership service departments. I have the upper hand of knowledge. I`m not trying to be an A-- towards you. I just think your statements are very Dealer Oriented. Thanks.

Let me return the respect you could not afford me and those who may not see it your way... by thanking you for your kindly drafted response.

Indeed, we must leave it to the readers of this forum to decide which wisdom path to follow: You have definitely made a case for youself and your values, but saddly enough, your answer only re-assures those of us who see it diferently.

Take care and enjoy your vehicle.

MSantos

Quote Originally Posted by MSantos View Post
    Let me return the respect you could not afford me and those who may not see it your way... by thanking you for your kindly drafted response.

Indeed, we must leave it to the readers of this forum to decide which wisdom path to follow: You have definitely made a case for youself and your values, but saddly enough, your answer only re-assures those of us who see it diferently.

Take care and enjoy your vehicle.

MSantos
    Respect I could not afford you......What are you talking about.....I never disrespected you. I just tried to read between the lines of dealer promotion
    Sorry it your offended...But my 30K investment will not be handled by unscrupulous dealer personnel.
    Like I said you have great inside info, and I do appreciate your opinion and the time you take to post it for all of us....