+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

September 2011 Honda Civic 2003-2005 ECM Update

I received a notice from Honda regarding our 2005 Honda Civic Hybrid with CVT. The notice states that ECM firmware needs to be updated at no cost to solve DTC P1420 and P2000 error code detection thresholds, as well as extend the warranty on the oxygen sensors to 80,000 miles. Here's my question: Somewhere else on the internet, credibility unknown, I read that one of the hybrid ECM updates resulted in a reduction of 10mpg or more in the vehicle's performance. So far we have not had "Check Engine" lights, so I'm a bit disinclined to get the update installed at this time. Have you heard anything, one way or the other, on this update? The letter is dated September 2011, titled "Product Update: ECM Update to Improve DTC P1420 and P2000 Detection Threshold". Thank you.

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

I also received this letter,

I also received this letter, and I"m calling my dealership now. If I end up getting the service performed I will update this post with the results.

I also had this done in 2007 when a very similar ECM update was done to resolve the same DTC issues.

Hi, I recently had my 2005

Hi,
    I recently had my 2005 Civic Hybrid updated with the latest software updates and it has drastically hurt my MPG. I'm very heated and not sure what to do or how to go about this matter. I'm assuming the only way to fix the problem is to have a new battery installed, which is almost impossible to get Honda to do. I'm going in to talk to the service manager Monday and also call corporate and see what they can do for me. I'm going to push hard for a new battery, wish me luck. Also, any advice would be great!! Thanks!!

Hi, I recently had my 2005

Hi,
    I recently had my 2005 Civic Hybrid updated with the latest software updates and it has drastically hurt my MPG. I'm very heated and not sure what to do or how to go about this matter. I'm assuming the only way to fix the problem is to have a new battery installed, which is almost impossible to get Honda to do. I'm going in to talk to the service manager Monday and also call corporate and see what they can do for me. I'm going to push hard for a new battery, wish me luck. Also, any advice would be great!! Thanks!!

this is a new update, its

this is a new update, its only been out a few day's. clearly no time to test it.

this update has only been

this update has only been out for a few day's, clearly no time to test it.

In January 2011 my Honda

In January 2011 my Honda dealership said the P2000 error code ment that my lower cat converter was defective and they replaced it. Now I also received the notice from Honda about the ECM and/or Secondary & Thrid Heated Oxygen Senors. if this is the finding, then I believe that Honda should reimburse me for the cat replacement.

I have a 2003 HCH with about

I have a 2003 HCH with about 175K miles. At around 70K miles the check engine light came on and indicated the catalytic converter was bad. Since it was still under warranty, Honda replaced it for free. 500 miles later, the same problem occurred. Honda replaced it again saying it didn't look bad. Another 1000 miles and the light came on again. This time Honda didn't replace it and since the car drove OK, I lived with the check engine light on.

This last ECM update fixed the problem. The check engine light is no longer on for the catalytic converter. Yeah!

I had this serviced about two weeks ago. Today, the IMA system stopped working. It's probably a coincidence, but I'll need to take it to the dealer to get checked out. The car is way out of its warranty period, so this could be expensive.

Has anyone else had the ECM update and encountered this kind of problem?

My 2003 HCH has about 73,000

My 2003 HCH has about 73,000 miles on it. About 10 days ago I had the software update for which it was recalled. Today my "malfunction indicator" light came on. They charged me $104 for the first hour of diagnostic testing and said they thought it was the battery controller but would have to do another $104 of diagnostics. I'm waiting in the waiting room thinking about replacing the car. But not with another Honda although I've had an Accord EX and a CRV and now I have the HCH and a Fit.

I had this "update" done

I had this "update" done last week on our 2003 HCH with 195,000 miles on it. The check engine light has been on for some time and the IMA light has been on for about 6 months. Since this "update" the IMA battery shows its totally dead and at any stop the car battery light comes on.
    Before the "update" the IMA appeared to be working. I've
    allready taken it back to the dealer who said that the IMA
    battery needed to be charged by running the engine with no load at 3000 to 3500 rpm for 5 to 10 minutes ??? on an engine with those miles on it? and this "update"could cause these problems. If this update cannot be reversed this car is now unsellable and undrivable.