+ Reply to Thread

Regenerative braking when battery full?

Maybe this has been answered here before, but if so I could not find it.

I'm enjoying my 2010 Ford Escape at 10,000 miles, no problems so far!

But I have one question maybe someone can answer: My daily commute is about 45 miles each way; starting with about 35 miles high-speed expressway (75 mph) and ending with about 10 mi. city driving.

Question: after 35 miles at highway speed, my battery presumably is pretty much fully charged. When I apply brakes then, what happens? I know the car tries to use regenerative braking, but I guess the question is, how do the brakes work when the battery is fully charged?

Any reply would be appreciated!

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

The generator only charges

The generator only charges to ~52% and stops charging. The other 8% can only be added with regenerative braking from the traction motor. This makes a full charge at 60% State of Charge (SoC). When the battery gets to 60%, all regen is stopped and your FEH uses 100% brake pads for stopping. If the battery gets over 52%, the battery will assist engine power with the traction motor and increase MPG.

The computer will recalibrate the battery every so often and allow the generator to charge the battery above 90% SoC, and then drain it back down to 52% SoC using "Assist". Mine did it once while the cruise control was set a 60mph on a highway. My instant MPG dropped as the generator charged the battery to 92%. With the CC still set at 60mph, the battery reached 92% and began to discharge the battery using Assist. My instant mileage jumped to 92mpg until the battery SoC reached 52% again.

If the battery gets over

If the battery gets over 52%, the battery will assist engine power with the traction motor and increase MPG.Surface News