+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

E-Z Pass discount

New York State E-Z Pass is not advertising it very much, but hybrid owners are entitled to a 10% discount on their E-Z Pass tolls.

You write to the NY E-Z pass service center, and include a photocopy of your registration, and request that your hybrid be added to the "NYGRN" discount program.

I don't know if any of the other E-Z Pass states have any similar programs, but it never hurts to ask.

If you find any other highway toll discounts for Hybrids, how about posting them for everyone to see.

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

Thanks for the info. That's

Thanks for the info. That's great to know. You're right. They're not advertising it. I'm a New Yorker and this is the first I'm hearing of it.

Jay

I have the NY State Green EZ

I have the NY State Green EZ Pass on my Prius. FYI, the discounts ONLY apply to NY State Thruway tolls and the Port Authority bridges and tunnels, and only during off-peak hours for the B & T's. The other places that accept your EZ Pass do not offer the discounts. It's still worth it, hopefully. The GW bridge will only cost you $4 (not $6) off-peak with your green pass. Another word of caution: keep your eye on your EZ Pass statement. I used the GW bridge off-peak and was charged regular price. I had to call EZ Pass customer service and get credited for the overcharge. I'm waiting for my next statement to see if I actully got the credit and if they charge the correct amount next time I use the Bridge.

I have yet to notice another hybrid on the road with a Green Pass (Easy enough to tell. They are literally green.) Maybe they are still working out the glitches.

No, I think it's one of

No, I think it's one of those "political" things. NY state wants to be able to "SAY" they are offering discounts to hybrids, without "ACTUALLY" giving the discounts to hybrid owners, and reducing their toll reciepts.

This program is so NOT advertised, that even NY Thruway employees know about it.

Thus the reason for this board...

I had a regular EZpass for

I had a regular EZpass for my Prius. When the Green Pass came about, I followed the directions on the NY State Thruway website and wrote a letter requesting one. They sent the letter back (twice) and I had to cancel my original pass and open a new account for the Green Pass. So...if you're applying for one, start with a new application so you don't waste any time.

Somebody at EZpass must have

Somebody at EZpass must have been jerking you around.

I just sent in my letter, with a photocopy of my registration enclosed, and they sent me the green ezpass in the mail.

No fuss, just one letter in the mail.

Sorry they screwed with you.

I'm with Jill. When I

I'm with Jill. When I applied for the NYS Green EZpass for my Prius about 10 months ago, I had to close my regular MTA EZpass account first and then open a new account with the NYS Thruway Authority before they would let me get the Green EZpass. I was told that the same thing would have happened if my original account was with the Port Authority of NY/NJ. Unless something has changed since that time, your account needs to be with the NYS Thruway for it to work. Good luck.

Yes, E-Z Pass is an

Yes, E-Z Pass is an interstate system run by about 6+ states.

ONLY the NYS Thruway Authority is offering the "green" discount.

So you DO need to have a NYS E-Z pass to get the discount.

AND the discount is ONLY given on the NYS Thruway (at this time)

New Jersey now offers a 10%

New Jersey now offers a 10% 'green discount' for use on the NJ Turnpike and Garden State Parkway.

Go to http://www.state.nj.us/turnpike/nj-t...t-program.html to apply.

Thank you for sharing the

Thank you for sharing the information. As you said in the forum it is not advertised anywhere. My friends have Prius for last 3 years and they don't know about the clean pass sticker or the Green Tag. Can i get the discount on the Holland and lincoln Tunnel and Varrazona bridge and NJ turnpike. Or I have to call them to enroll in it.