I need some help with making a choice about a new vehicle. I am a stay at home mom who drives very short distances- about 1,2000 miles every 6 months. I am in need of a new vehicle. I would like to buy the Highlander Hybrid simply because I need the larger vehicle, but want to be green. I can't justify the price difference to my husband, since I use so little gas to begin with. We also looked at some used highlanders, but I'm not sure the mpg on a used 2008, or 2009 would be all that better than a brand new (non-hybrid) highlander.

So here are the options we are looking at- all limiteds with 4wd and discounted through our bank:

Brand new hybrid (if we can even find one this time of year) $47,000
Brand new non-hybrid $36,000
2008 Used hybrid 37,000 miles $36,000
2009 Used hybrid 43,0000 miles $31,000 (doesn't have nav and dvd player which aren't big deals to me) is a certified vehicle with a better warrenty than the 2008.

It looks like the new highlanders get about 17/22 mpg. I know the mpg of the other hybrids when they are new, but I am wondering if that drops some as the vehicles age? Please let me know which vehicle YOU think would be best in this situation and why. I would REALLY appreciate your feedback!