+ Reply to Thread

what is the science behind it all?

what is the science behind the design and operation of hybrid cars?????

I like to explain it like this:

A conventional car's power train must be selected to provide enough power for the highest load the car is expected to be subjected to. When the car is not being used at that load, the capacity is wasted. Since gasoline engines are most efficient near their peak output, this is wasteful.

A hybrid car is able to "bank" some of the energy from the gasoline engine for later use. It also stores energy from the braking action of the electric motor (regenerative braking). Since this energy can be used when the gas engine is already at peak output, the gas engine can be made smaller than it otherwise would be. Furthermore, since the gas engine is run at peak output more of the time (you also run the engine harder when you're recharging the battery pack), it runs more efficiently and more cleanly than it otherwise would.

Another bonus is that since there's a powerful electric motor in the drivetrain, it's possible to have the gas engine shut off when its not needed. This is a bigger fuel savings than you might think. A lot of fuel is wasted idling engines at stoplights, when coasting, etc.

Hope this helps...

I think one other thing that can be added is that the electric motors provide a lot of torque, and this helps during acceleration. The gasoline engine is not operating at top efficiency when accelerating from a red light, so the electric motor helps to accelerate the vehicle using electrical energy and saving some chemical energy in the fuel.

A gasonline engine needs quite some energy to keep itself running, especially in low gear where the engine makes more rotations for a given distance.

An electrical engine can save energy because you can do with a smaller gasoline engine, like Steve explained, and also by taken over at low speed, where the gasoline engine is very inefficient.

Who is steve?

Who is steve?

chemical energy (from the

chemical energy (from the batteries) to Kinetic energy (the moving of the car)

OMFG steve i LOVE YOU

OMFG steve i LOVE YOU !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

oitroiuqerotqeiptoueteou[k

oitroiuqerotqeiptoueteou[k