+ Reply to Thread

Newbie to Hybrid Driving

I have a new 2011 FEH and even though it was my wife's idea to get it (she was tired of getting 16 around town in the van), i am now obsessed with getting the most out of the car. I understand there is a break-in period so i'm not too concerned with 29 around town and 30 on the highway yet, but i do have a question i want to ask. I have a 5-speed manual pickup truck that i throw into nuetral alot to coast down hills to get better mileage (26.5 around town). I would never do this with an automatic but i am reading that this is OK for the CVT in the FEH. Is this really the case? Also, on the interstate yesterday going down a huge mountain, i put it into N at 65 MPH and thought the car would drop into EV mode but it didn't. MPG did go up alot but i was hoping to do even better in N and get out of the gas engine. I can only assume my speed prevented this. So the two questions are:
    1. Is N really OK to coast in?
    2. Was speed the reason why it didnt drop into EV mode when coasting downhill at 65mph?

thanks for the help!

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

The FEH is classified as a

The FEH is classified as a flat tow vehicle with all wheels down up to 75mph. So yes, "N" coasting is okay with the engine Off or running. I've been doing it for 5 years in my '05 FEH and for 28,000 miles in my '09 FEH with no problems.

The engine in the '11 FEH will stay running or start above 44mph. For fuel economy, neutral coasting when the engine is running is worst than "D" coasting. You would have saved more gas going down that huge mountain with the engine running above 44mph or in EV below 44mph - 40mph in "D" or in "N" below 40mph in EV mode.

If you had stayed in "D" going down that mountain above 40mph you would have been in aggressive fuel-cut or what Ford calls "Deceleration Fuel Shut OFF" (DFSO). Fuel is cut by the PCM (computer) in DFSO and the transmission is using the wheels to keep the RPM's at an idle using no fuel. If you press on the gas pedal during DFSO, the PCM will smoothly take control and start delivery of fuel with the fuel injectors for a smooth acceleration again.

If you want to learn more about hypermiling and FEH techniques, join cleanmpg.com and read our articles. I suggest if your serious about increasing MPG, order a Scangauge II with a member discount there. You also can start a vehicle Mileage Log for every vehicle you or your wife drives. My Wife's 2011 Explorer now has a Lifetime MPG of 22.6mpg with 2,400 miles and my '09 FEH is at 53.3mpg with 28,000 miles.

You can learn other techniques about your pick-up also because the site is for every vehicle made.

Thanks GaryG. I'll check

Thanks GaryG. I'll check out cleanmpg.com