+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

RECENT RECALL HONDA CIVIC HYBRID VOLTAGE CONVERTER

Just received recall notice to replace voltage converter on my 2006 Honda Civic Hybrid. Has anyone else received the notice and/or had the converter replaced?

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

I got the notice Monday;

I got the notice Monday; haven't done anything yet. A little more
    info is here:

http://www.lemonlaw.org/blog/2011/03...age-converter/

Yes, I had mine replaced

Yes, I had mine replaced yesterday on my 2006. It took the dealership 2 days to get the part and perform the work, but does not appear to affect the car.
    Have you had to have the IMA battery replaced? My light came on and the dealership replaced my battery no questions asked, so I have not experienced the problems it sounds others are having.

Had IMA battery replaced. No

Had IMA battery replaced. No issues.

Took my 2006 Civic Hybrid in

Took my 2006 Civic Hybrid in today for recall and complained AGAIN about IMA light coming on and getting 32 mpg. They finally decided to replace hybrid battery. Of course, they came up with a laundry list of other things that need to be done. One of these is replacing the "small battery" in the engine. Does anybody know what this is - if it even exists? Quite frankly, I do not trust this dealership. I had to go out of town to buy the car - they had no Civic hybrids and I would have to pay an upfront fee for them to bring one in. I did not want to commit on a car I could not see or test drive.

Appreciate any info.

Took my 2006 Civic Hybrid in

Took my 2006 Civic Hybrid in today for recall and complained AGAIN about IMA light coming on and getting 32 mpg. They finally decided to replace hybrid battery. Of course, they came up with a laundry list of other things that need to be done. One of these is replacing the "small battery" in the engine. Does anybody know what this is - if it even exists? Quite frankly, I do not trust this dealership. I had to go out of town to buy the car - they had no Civic hybrids and I would have to pay an upfront fee for them to bring one in. I did not want to commit on a car I could not see or test drive.

Appreciate any info.

help, why can't I post.

help, why can't I post.

OK, I "signed up" and now

OK, I "signed up" and now it's letting me post.
    I am 2007 Hybrid CH owner.
    Where are you "posters" from? Is it Canada?
    This is so fascinating because while Honda is giving you new batteries, it's giving "us" (California, US?) disastrous "recall" software "updates".
    AND I MEAN DISASTROUS. DON'T DO IT IF OFFERED.
    I haven't read all the posts but I see it's a very active topic. I see nothing about a "software upgrade". I think that's something Honda just did in CA because we have the 150000 mi warranty. (Or the US - I just "found out the truth" yesterday).
    OR IS IT POSSIBLE INSTEAD OF GETTING A NEW IMA BATTERY, YOU'RE GETTING THE INSIDIOUS SOFTWARE UPDATE?

Well, this software update trashes the mileage (from about 40 mpg to 32 if you're lucky). AND FROM PEOPLE WHOSE CAR HAVE HIGH MILEAGE (BY THAT I MEAN 70,000 - I ONLY HAVE 50,000), it will trash your whole car.
    I am not making this up.

Go to Facebook "HONDA CORPORATION HAS NO HONOR", or Google Honda Civic Hybrid IMA and look at American blogs. You think you have it bad (and no I'm not jealous) - look what Honda did to avoid mass battery replacement in the US.

It all makes sense why Honda had this software upgrade. They got tired of replacing the batteries. But their cure is way worse than the problem. Of course the batteries wont' run out before 150,000 mi. Nonse of these upgraded cars will ever run that long!

The small battery the dealer

The small battery the dealer is referring to is the conventional backup battery that is on your HCH to serve and start your hybrid using a conventional starter also on the HCH if there is a failure of the NiMH traction battery or the IMA. I've noticed that my dealer began checking the auxiliary battery at every routine service visit I made in the last two years. My dealership seems to be verifying that the backup battery is in good shape so it's there if needed.

I had an instance of my traction battery not having enough power to start my HCH this winter, one morning when the temp fell to about 6-7 degrees F. The HCH started using it's conventional starter (sounds like a regular civic starting....) and I got a blinking green drive light (cooperative braking system issue) and check engine light. No IMA light. The dealer mentioned that 'it can happen that the traction battery level is not sufficient in very cold weather" which is bunk that this is normal since the IMA battery indicator was at 3/4 full and even if it's only an estimate, it meant that the battery was in a good state of charge when I shut down the night before. So far no IMA warning light and my conventional battery backup did it's job that one time it was needed on the very cold morning.

I'll be happy to have my recall done tomorrow so I'm covered in case there's any more oddball behavior of the system. I'm lucky that my s/w didn't stay in the intermediate cruddy update that was causing a lot of recal's so I dont think my battery got mucked up by that at least. We'll see. I've got a responsive dealer and hopefully they'll do the right thing by me if needed.
    Glad I took the HondaCare extended warranty though.

Hi, I have a 2003 Honda

Hi,

I have a 2003 Honda Civic Hybrid and recently experienced having problems with the battery bars going down to one bar and the car would not start after it was parked all night.
    My husband charged the battery charger thingking it was the problem but the bars in the IMA assist still way down. I have not taken it for a spinn yet to see it will cause a problem down the road.
    Has anyone having this same problems? I live in the Washington DC area and it have hot and humid here in the last few days.