+ Reply to Thread

New Tires / Worse Gas Mileage

I have a 2007 Civic Hybrid and I just changed out my 4 original tires to new Michelin Primacy MXV4 Performance 195/65/R15 91H tires. I just hit 42K miles and also had the car serviced. My mileage has gone down from an average of 42 per gallon down to 37 per gallon.

Any idea why? I saw the earlier post on tire pressure and I live in the SF Bay Area.

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

Hi RBuck New tires will

Hi RBuck

New tires will always cause a hit on your FE for a short while.
    Also, check the maximum pressure rating for your new Michelins. The OEM tires are usually rated at max of 44psi but if the newer ones have a higher max rating then your FE will get hit if you practice the same pressures as you had with your OEM's. This is a certainty and neither the dealer nor the tire shops care much about this since your FE is not their most pressing concern.

To make up for the difference (if it exists) I would recommend you use the following formula:

Front tires ps i= max pressure psi - 2 psi
    Rear tires psi = max pressure psi - 4 psi

Your mileage will improve for sure and your tires will run cooler and last longer.

Cheers;

MSantos

Thanks for the quick

Thanks for the quick response. I forgot to mention that I bought the tires at Costco and they fill the tires with Nitrogen. Will this make a difference?

No difference whatsoever.

No difference whatsoever.

Cheers;

MSantos

This happened to me too when

This happened to me too when I first changed the tires and I didn't know that they always cause a hit on the FE for a short while, like MSantos said, I just thought the car wasn't good enough so I decided to get rid of it by leaving it at a donate car USA center. I still don't have any idea if this is true or why the mileage goes down in this case.