+ Reply to Thread

Hybrids running will fuel additives

Is anyone running their hybrids with fuel additives? If so, are they improving further the fuel comsuption?

Other than things such as fuel injector cleaners (only to clean fuel injectors), nothing else should be added to gasoline. Any additive to gasoline claiming to increase mileage will be a waste of money. Even the government says so.

Besides, my Honda Civic Hybrid states not to use anything with MMT, a preformance chemical with some form of Magnesium, as it can cause severe damage not covered under warranty. Many of those "octane boosters" sold in auto stores containes MMT, so I cannot use them, but I wouldn't anyways.

Even fuels are "touchy." Due to the Prius' Atkinson-cycle engine, putting 93 octane fuel can be a waste of money, if not cause lower preformance.

Just because the government says so doesn't make it so.

"Just because the government says so doesn't make it so."

Just because the companies that produce these devices have statistics such as, "increases fuel efficiency by up to 50%," doesn't mean that these statistics are truthfully taken, nor are in truth themselves.

Caveat emptor.
    Government has little to do with it.

Don, I agree with you. Most of the time, I get strait 87 octane gas, but I'm on my third dose of ethanol additive and it's not funny. Ethanol is alcohol which is a gasoline oxigenator that reduces energy in the combustion process. It does not improve FE, but can be use to clean injector's and mosture in fuel. In my Escape Hybrid, it screws up the oxigen sensors, and causes the fuel mixture to run rich. The effects can remain much longer than after the ethanol has been burned off, because the oxigen sensors needing to readjust to strait gas. It's like smoking, it take awhile for your lungs to clear back up after quiting.

The fact is, I can get over 70mpg out of my FEH on a short 20 mile round trip. Needless to say, my fingers are on on the pulse of the ICE every minute it is running. I watch the RPM's, better than a doctor watches an EKG on a heart attack person. BTW, I also have a medical background.

What was said about 93 octane fuel is true also. Ethanol or alcohol is used to raise the octane and slow combustion for higher combustion engines. Without the slower combustion, the engine would knock or ping.

I will confirm after I mistakenly putting 93 octane in my tank (12.5 gal), I'm getting a big hit in my FE (more than 10%).

Gary G,

Your preformance problem can be expected because the FEH uses an Atkinson-Cyle engine like the Prius.

I've experimentally tried 93 octane in my HCH, which uses an Otto engine instead, and I get greater mileage. But the increase in mileage does not offset the extra cost of the 93 fuel, therefore, I rarely use it.

But you are correct, ethanol is an oxygenate, and when burned, the molecules break down into into alchohol's individual components (the atoms). Since it is mostly oxygen, it effectively adds more oxygen than that was aspirated (sucked in) by the engine, increasing overall preformance in most engines (but not the Atkinson cycle). Also, the 93 octane gasoline burns slower, thus contrubiting to smoother operation with less detonation (the ping), and due to its higher concentration of detergents, it will clean your engine.

I think a good fuel injector

I think a good fuel injector like from the Delphi Brand and the others would compensate all the stuffs that you may have in order to make things good for your vehicle with fuel additives. In that way, the performance would be good and smooth.

you should not use fuel

you should not use fuel treatments in hybrids. info comes straight from fuel treatment manufacurers.