I bought my 2003 Honda Civic Hybrid in January 2006 with 50,000 miles on it. It is now January 2011 and I have 264,000 miles on it. I replaced my original hybrid battery pack in December 2008 at 180,000 miles with a used battery pack that already had 64,000 miles on it. The car was running fine and the battery was working good too. Granted, I only paid $625 for it and I installed it myself. I now need to replace it again even though the car runs fine and the battery still operates correctly. This is why I had to replace my battery pack in 2008 and why I have to replace it now...

I lived in AZ in 2008 and their emissions test included an OBDII scan. My engine light was on because I had codes P1600 and P1449 which indicated I needed to replace my hybrid battery pack, even though it was still working properly. Since the emissions laws of AZ didn't care that my car actually put out less emissions than other cars and they only cared about my engine light on, I replaced my hybrid battery pack. Even though the hybrid battery pack has nothing to do with what comes out of the exhaust, the state laws still required me to replace the battery pack. I now live in Texas and their laws are requiring me to do the same thing.

Since common sense has left this area of the law, I am now getting rid of my fuel efficient (I consistently get 45-55 miles per gallon) and almost zero emissions vehicle and going to buy a gas guzzler that spits out more emissions than what people would think is healthy.

I will forever refuse to own or promote owning a hybrid electric vehicle unless the laws change to actually test what comes out of my tailpipe, regardless if my hybrid electric battery needs to be replaced!