+ Reply to Thread

2003 Honda Civic Hybrid - Creaking Steering Column

Calling all automechanics... My 2003 Honda Civic Hybrid has had a very bad creak emmit from the steering column while moving the wheel while accelerating from 0-25 mph. It only occurs while accelerating with the gas pedal. Decelerating and moving the wheel produces no noise / creak regardless of speed, and wheel movement at higher speeds does not create a sound. I had a front impact in Dec 2004 so it could be a result of the re-build (it was a moderate hood / radiator damage) but the noise has only gotten bad in the past 6 months. Does it have something to do with the power steering fluid? power steering belt?

the 'WHOOOSH' sound as I come to stop signs is the hybrid engine slowing down to shut off when the car reaches 0 mph

video 1:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ctjGLwuvyzM

Video 2:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QtAmJNdfsWI

Video 3:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wruyQGIkGv4

Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by LJsurfer2002 View Post
    I had a front impact in Dec 2004 so it could be a result of the re-build (it was a moderate hood / radiator damage) but the noise has only gotten bad in the past 6 months. Does it have something to do with the power steering fluid? power steering belt?

the 'WHOOOSH' sound as I come to stop signs is the hybrid engine slowing down to shut off when the car reaches 0 mph
    Accidents do happen, but more importantly than that is WHO performed the repairs of the vehicle. Because it is a 2003 it is still under the standard components warranty provided that it was fixed by the dealership. If it was not, then the issue maybe a little bit more complicated.

Yes, it could be the power steering... but as it is often in the case of collisions, it may be a bit more than that. Power steering issues just don't occur like that on relatively new Hondas. I would sincerely recommend that you take it back to the dealership and have them perform an assessment of the vehicle. If you do, please let us know what is their veridict. To make sure have another dealership perform a similar assessment as a check.

Cheers;

MSantos

Squeaky steering

LJsurfer2002
    I have a 2003 HCH CVT that is doing the same thing. I asked my dealer to check it out while they were doing some other work on the car. When I went back to get the car the service manager said they could not determine the cause of the squeaking. I've sprayed silicone spray lube on everything I could find that moves while moving the steering wheel with no change in the squeak.
    If you figure out what is causing this, please post it here.
    Thanks, Rick

Creaking Steering

I forgot to mention that my HCH has not been involved in any accidents.
    Still squeaking/creaking.
    Rick

'03 HCH DOING THE SAME. I

'03 HCH DOING THE SAME. I also sprayed lithium grease on everything w/ no improvement. let me know if found any thing.

Check the front wheel

Check the front wheel bearings as well as the electric power steering rack as normal wear issues in these areas tend to be appear with higher mileage vehicles.

Cheers;

MSantos

I have a 2003 HCH with no

I have a 2003 HCH with no accidents that is also doing the SAME EXACT THING, as i was reading the description of the problem i was shocked to how accurate every specific detail is compared to my problem i.e. only happens when accelerating and you turn the wheel to the left like a milimeter from 0 - 25 miles
    I have owned this car for a little over a a month, it was pre-owned and has only had 1 owner with a clear title and no records or signs of any accidents.
    i just began noticing this creek in the past week and became a bit concerned and was going to take it in to check it out (im glad i decided to google it although i wasnt expecting any results because i felt like it would be too vague of a problem)

I would like to add that i think i may have also heard some squeeking at high speeds (around 70mph) while it was raining when i lift my foot off the peddle just a bit (kind of like right between where it switches from giving gas to regenerative braking) but it seemed to me to be the same problem

Anyone else having this problem? any solutions? i'd really like to know what it is exactly

I notice that this is a

I notice that this is a problem from 2 years ago, did you ever find a solution LJSURFER2002?

This has to be a known issue by now because it can not be a coincidence its the exact same! i feel like thats my car being driven in the video!!

i really hope this isn't something too costly to repair, i can barely afford to have it looked at sighh :S

Did anyone ever find a

Did anyone ever find a solution to this problem? I just bought a used 2003 HCH, and it's doing the same thing. Any help would be most appreciated!

Hi - I also just bought a

Hi - I also just bought a used 2003 Honda Civic Hybrid and it started doing the same thing this morning, creaking steering wheel when I accelerate at low speeds. Have also had the car for about a month. Any thoughts?