+ Reply to Thread

Which hybrid should I buy?

I'm definitely in the market for a new vehicle. I currently drive a 2004 Kia Rio, manual transmission. I considered a hybrid before purchasing the Kia, but the $14,000 I paid for the Kia vs. the $22,000 for a Prius was simply too much difference!

Again, I'm considering a hybrid. However, I'm also open to another gas only vehicle. I'd like some opinions on which hybrid to purchase. I'm single, but like a hatchback so I can haul hay bales when I need them. No trucks.

Leery of the Prius since their problems with the gas pedals. Like the looks of the Insight and its cheaper than the Prius.

Thanks for opinions.

Lily

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

Don't shy away from Prius

Don't shy away from Prius because the gas pedal. There's absolutely no problem there. Depends on how much you want to spend, but I would put the Prius, Insight, and maybe the Sonata Hybrid on your list for hybrids--and the Jetta TDI wagon for diesel, and the Ford Fiesta as a gas-powered car.

Thanks. I'll check out the

Thanks. I'll check out the Fiesta, having had Fords in the past and really liking them.

I spent two years

I spent two years researching hybrids and for 'me' it made sense to switch from my 4WD Ford Expedition to a hybrid. It worked for 'me' so I did it. If you work on a farm, ranch, construction site then I don't think it would make sense for you to buy one. If you want something with a V8, then a hybrid probably isn't your best bet. Personally I'd love to have a hybrid/EV for everyday use and a Challenger to open up on a straightaway but I might have different priorities than someone else. Crazy, I know!
    I also know several dozen hybrid owners that have offset the hybrid premium cost most in part thanks to the gigantic spike in petrol prices over the last couple years. You can check out the posts at greenhybrid.com and a lot of those people kept meticulous data on it for proof (that's what you get when you get engineers owning hybrids).
    The ability to have alternative fuel options is important as not everything works for everyone. But I don't need to have an SUV anymore and once I have a chance to get a fully EV vehicle, I'll be getting one. Until then I'll stick with the hybrid.
    There's seriously no reason to badmouth hybrids/EVs/biodiesel/etc as an alternative and there's no reason for everyone to own a hybrid and take no credit check loans in order to buy it. Find out what works for you and make that choice, but don't berate someone else for doing what's right for them.