+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

picked-up a 2005 HCH. Just

picked-up a 2005 HCH. Just passed 48K, all is well. How does one investigate the car using VIN?

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

You state, "So since neither

You state, "So since neither Honda entity was going to help me, I did some reseach on my own, and determined that my car was indeed covered."

Can you tell me how you came to know your car was covered. I would like to check mine, and if you can tell me what you did it would be better than trying to explore from scratch.

Thanks.

@Thomas Preisser: Check the

@Thomas Preisser: Check the Honda Warranty booklet that came with your vehicle. There's a section on the IMA system and battery. Mine (2009 in California) refers me to a parts list in the back which specifically states the coverage for CA (10/150). Info for other states is also provided (can't remember off the top of my head).

I just found this article

I just found this article issued by Honda. I hope it works for us! If not, I'm contacting Joe at http://hybridbatteryrepair.net and having him fix my battery. I called him today with concerns about my IMA and P1433 battery deterioration code (per my trusty mechanic). He was the one that let me know about the warranty. Good luck!

http://automobiles.honda.com/news/pr...=2004091352267

2005 Honda Warranty Information
    Torrance, Calif. September 01, 2004

Make/Model = Honda/Accord*, Civic, CR-V, Element, Odyssey, Pilot, S2000

Bumper-To-Bumper Warranty (Years/miles)= 3 years, 36,000 miles

Powertrain Warranty (Years/miles)= 3 years, 36,000 miles

Corrosion Warranty (Years/miles)= 5 years, unlimited miles

Emissions Warranty (years/miles) = Federal: 3 years/36,000, California: 3 years/50,000, PZEV*(CA, NY, ME, VT, MA): 15/150,000

Battery Warranty (Years/miles) = 3 years, 36,000 miles

Make/Model = Honda/Civic Hybrid*, Insight

Bumper-To-Bumper Warranty (Years/miles)= 3years, 36,000 miles

Powertrain Warranty = 3years, 36,000 miles

IMA Battery Warranty (Years/miles)= 8 /80,000, AT-PZEV*(CA, NY, ME, VT, MA): 10/150,000

Corrosion Warranty (Years/miles)= 5 years, unlimited miles

Emissions Warranty (years/miles) = Federal: 3 years/36,000, California: 3 years/50,000, AT-PZEV*(CA, NY, ME, VT, MA): 15/150,000

*2005 Honda Accord models (LX and EX Sedan with 4-cylinder engine and automatic transmission) distributed in California, New York, Vermont, Maine and Massachusetts meet Partial Zero Emission Vehicle (PZEV) standards. 2005 Civic Hybrid models distributed in California, New York, Vermont, Maine and Massachusetts meet Advanced Technology Partial Zero Emission Vehicle (AT-PZEV) standards.

The IMA/Check Engine Light

The IMA/Check Engine Light came on in my 2009 HCH with only 13,200 miles on it. Honda is replacing the battery for free. By the way, I live in NY and am covered for 10yrs/150,000 miles on the battery. They told me it would have been $4000 plus.
    Also they said that the car would run fine if the IMS system failed totally because it is two separate systems.
    I wonder if the replacement battery will still be covered under the original warranty? I guess I will find that one out soon after they replace the battery.

I've been a devout Honda

I've been a devout Honda customer for over two decades now. In 2006, I purchased a brand new 2006 Honda Civic Hybrid from the Honda dealership lot and it will be the last time I will ever do that. I paid almost 10k more for my civic because it was a hybrid but I had plenty of justification for it. I was not only a proud fuel efficient car owner (when I could've has a "fancier" car), but I encouraged all my friends and family that just the savings on gas was worth the switch.
    Well, I have to say I feel quite foolish now. My car JUST got paid off three months ago and I was now looking forward to reaping the benefits of my choice by only paying pennies for gas compared to everyone else...until my IMA battery light came on. My car has 99 miles and I live in Maryland. Needless to say after a diagnostic test I was told the IMA battery is faulty and needs to be replaced. Total cost for parts and labor $4,000. I called Honda customer service and fhey assigned a case manager who is supposed to review my case and call me back.
    I'm open to any suggestions or advice.

I've been a devout Honda

I've been a devout Honda customer for over two decades now. In 2006, I purchased a brand new 2006 Honda Civic Hybrid from the Honda dealership lot and it will be the last time I will ever do that. I paid almost 10k more for my civic because it was a hybrid but I had plenty of justification for it. I was not only a proud fuel efficient car owner (when I could've has a "fancier" car), but I encouraged all my friends and family that just the savings on gas was worth the switch.
    Well, I have to say I feel quite foolish now. My car JUST got paid off three months ago and I was now looking forward to reaping the benefits of my choice by only paying pennies for gas compared to everyone else...until my IMA battery light came on. My car has 99 miles and I live in Maryland. Needless to say after a diagnostic test I was told the IMA battery is faulty and needs to be replaced. Total cost for parts and labor $4,000. I called Honda customer service and fhey assigned a case manager who is supposed to review my case and call me back.
    I'm open to any suggestions or advice.

HCH3j

HCH3j

See:

See: file:///Users/Dave/Desktop/2004%20Honda%20Warranty%20Information%20-%20Honda.com.webarchive

for 2004 HCH warranty information. Note the extended 15/150K warranty for cars distributed in CA, NY, MA, VT and MA. There's no language that suggests a car's warranty be VIN number specific.

The IMA battery on my 2004

The IMA battery on my 2004 Civic hybrid died a couple weeks ago, 4 months out of the 8-year warranty period. However, the car is part of a settlement class in a class action lawsuit, and one of the terms involves extending the battery's warranty for 12 months or 12,000 miles, whichever comes first. So I take the car to the dealership, push them on this issue, they call Honda Motors in California, and guess what they're told: my car isn't covered, only certain VIN numbers. The papers on the class action suit that I received said nothing about VIN numbers, and the language defining the various settlement classes was very specific. In fact, this business about VIN numbers doesn't even make sense: the class action suit involved Honda's claims about the mileage a Civic hybrid could achieve, not defects of specific vehicles.

Here's a link to the settlement web site: http://www.hchsettlement.com/

Up until now I'd been a happy Honda owner, but now... I wonder what they think they're achieving - they save a few thousand bucks by not replacing the battery, at the expense of future sales. How likely is it that I will buy another Honda?