+ Reply to Thread

12 volt battery dead some mornings

We have a 2003 HCH which we purchased used over two years ago. For most of that time it has been a very good and reliable car. However several months ago the lights were left on and the 12 volt battery died. It had to be jump started. Beginning with that incident it has intermittently had a dead battery when you go out to start it in the morning. The dead battery occurrences became more frequent over time. We had the car to three different auto repair shops including a local Honda dealer and all said that nothing was wrong with the 12 volt battery, the charging system or the "big" battery. At the recommendation of the last shop we took the car to we had the 12 volt battery replaced "just in case it had a bad plate". The problem persisted. Upon reading this forum and others, I found the recommendation of disconnecting the 12 volt battery for 20 to 30 minutes to reset the computer. After the "reset" the car functioned perfect for almost a week before going back to having a dead battery almost every morning.
    Other possibly related symptoms include:
    IMA light comes on intermittently.
    "big" battery is completely discharged the mornings when the 12 volt battery is dead.
    Gas mileage had declined by 5 to 6 MPG until the "reset" was conducted. The MPG has rebounded by 3 to 4 MPGs.
    If someone out there could give me some idea on what the problem is and potential solution(s) it would be greatly ppreciated. I thought it was the "big" battery but according to the local Honda dealership, it checked out fine.

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

I also have a 2003 HCH with

I also have a 2003 HCH with a similiar problem. I'm known for leaving my lights on. I've had to jump start it several times in the past 3 years. Now it's really bad. HELP!!!

We have a 2004 HCH, and we

We have a 2004 HCH, and we had to replace the 12V battery three years into ownership. The car was dead on the morning of 12/1, we charged the battery all day. We drove the car until the morning of 12/8, again dead and very dim dash board lights. We just tested the battery today, and it has 10V. It's got a 100 month warranty on it, and it's genuine Honda. I'm taking the battery in to the dealer on Monday. It seems as though these 12V batteries only last 3 years. I hope that a new battery will be the fix. If not, the car's being towed to the dealership for IMA warranty. We just had the IMA replaced in May!

Most likely some other

Most likely some other electronic device in the car has developed electrical short..............Hard to find, but best bet to have the Honda dealer look for a short in some other electrical device in the car.