+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast

They need to bring back the Geo Metro!

Remember the Geo Metro from the early '90's? In particular, the XFi model got EPA ratings of 53/58, 55mpg combined. And real people acheived these numbers in real traffic and then some. This is better than most hybrids and diesels. No complicated hybrid stuff, no expensive diesel fuel. I think the car only cost about $6000 back in 1994 (which is about $7300 today). Used examples can be had for far less. The Metro was available as a 2- or 4-door hatchback, and even a convertible (although the XFI only came as a 2-door hatchback and a 5-speed). The convertible seats 2, the others seat 4.

Maybe they could bring back the Metro (although it would be a Chevy Metro now that Geo is gone) and even make a Metro hybrid. It could also be flex-fuel with E85. The XFi gets 55 mpg without the hybrid part, maybe it might get about 80 mpg as a hybrid.

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

iI have a 1994 XFI and love it! One advantage to the new hybrids is AC availability, my Metro does get hot in the North Carolina summer. But other than that, I love my Metro!

Yes!!! Please bring back the metro. A lot of bang for the buck. I had a 1990 and drove it trouble free for 139,000 miles and then sold it for $2,000 dollars in 1994. I would certainly do it again if it was available. I had tanks in the 50's and a few in the low 60's-- I still have my MPG log book. My 2 door had A/C but I did not need to use it too often in the Chicago area.

My fathers '94 metro was just totaled when somebody ran into his garage. I've spent the last week looking for something to replace it. He won't settle for anythink less than 40mpg. No luck so far, people that still have one in safe driving condition don't want to give them up.

I bought my first Geo Metro XFI in 1992. It survived well until 249,000 miles. Best gas mileage was 62.8. Replaced it with a young used Geo Metro XFI with 65,000 on it, it now has 240,000 miles on it and is quite rusted away. What is an American supposed to do to get an energy efficient car now? I hear Daihatsu is still using the 993 cc motor in their hatchbacks. (note there are no Daihatsu dealers in the USA) Why can't I buy a Volkswagon Lupo here in the states? I guess I'll have to build my own wheels.

I love the Metro's. I have a green Car dealership in northern California where we refurbish Metro's and other small cars. http://www.cagreencars.com

Affodable, high gas mileage for the masses.

I bought a 1998 Chevy Metro with the 3 cyl. motor and 5 speed at an auction for $1400.00 It had been donated to charity. The driver window was missing and the check engine light was on (beacause the gas cap was missing). I had the window replaced and bought a new gas cap and I've been driving it now for a year and a half with no problems. It's a great little car and a much better deal than buying a new prius. I get over 45mpg on the highway, at 75mph with the AC on!

I totally agree. I got a Chevy Metro '01 as my very first car, and I am absolutely in love with it. I love the look of them, and you cannot beat the gas mileage. It's the PERFECT car. I want to drive it all my life. (-:

If they do bring it back, it should have a six-spped manual, and the automatic should have overdrive. These things would enhance performance AND economy.

I have a 94 two door for $500 that gets 45+ when I'm driving fast, fifty otherwise. Before the Geo I drove a compact mazda truck, switching due to the gas prices (and that rusted old truck had massive cracks in either side of the frame.) I find that the hatchback geo body style is so versatile I have not noticed any loss in hauling capabilities. If I take the back and passenger side seats out I can haul lumber and iron of 10+ feet, as well as being able to sleep in it on long trips. I put a custom rack on top and can haul standard 8X4 sheets of whatever, up to a half ton. Who needs a truck!